PDA

View Full Version : New setup!

djceri_g
Tue Apr 10, 2007, 06:49 PM
Ive finnaly bought a Juwel Trigon 190L! :D Have filed it up with water and filter start. The lighting unit has a relector. As I am thinking of having a bare bottom, will me discus see their reflection on the bottom? I cannot see the top of the cabinet through the tank.

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 11, 2007, 04:34 AM
The extra light bouncing off the bottom seems to take them a while to get used to.

You can minimize the problem by putting black paper under the bottom of the tank, or painting the bottom black or dark blue. (On the outside of course :P )

djceri_g
Wed Apr 11, 2007, 07:30 AM
So that means I will have to empty the tank and move it again! Is this reflector good for plants?

Tommo
Thu Apr 12, 2007, 11:42 PM
Just A Question Why Would You Have A Bare Bottom Tank ?

Cheers Andrew

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 13, 2007, 01:02 AM
reflector = more light bouncing off the bottom back upto the plants, most plants chloroplasts are positioned on the upward face of the leaf and the stomates (gas exchange pours) on the bottom, plants with leaves that curl downward such as Echinodorus portoalegrensis can benifit from this, but my observations of most others dont seem to show any diffrence, Still i'm sure they dont mind :) mind you my observations of my E.portoalegrensis could just be me seeing things :wink:

Andrew bare botttom tanks are eaiser to clean and hence you can feed more food more often and just clean up the mess when your done, its a good way to get your fish to grow bigger faster

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 13, 2007, 01:09 AM
Sorry mate i miss read your post i thought you had a reflector underneath the tank :banghead
reflector in hood is a very good idea more light for the same money ( electricty tubes etc). more light = happier fish

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 13, 2007, 01:09 AM
doh!!!!!!!
more light = happier plants

djceri_g
Fri Apr 13, 2007, 09:44 AM
Just A Question Why Would You Have A Bare Bottom Tank ?

Cheers AndrewTo keep Discus. It is eaasier to keep tank clean when feeding beef heart etc!

djceri_g
Fri Apr 13, 2007, 09:47 AM
Maybey I will put a thin layer of sand because Its impossible to empty all the water and moe the tank just to put a black piece of paper under. Maybey scoop some sand every now and then for the Discus to get used to the reflector?