PDA

View Full Version : Overflow Box... Not Fun

okrazykat
Mon Oct 04, 2004, 06:58 PM
When are these Zebra Danios going to learn that the overflow drain at the top rear of the tank is not a Water Park? I picked five of them out of it this morning. One made it all the way down the stand-pipe into the sump.
Anthow, still cycling the tank and waiting to stabilize. My stats, after almost a week, are constant at:
pH 7.2, NO2 <.8mg/l, NO3 0, KH 3.5, Temp 81deg.
Is it a better idea to mix strains of Discus, or stay with one variety? I ask this both asthetically and scientifically.

flukes
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 02:02 AM
Doesnt really matter it is your choice, really you want the same strained pairs but even when you have say 3-1 the one will form the pair and the other 2 will fight. Just never seems too work out perfect.

In the end its your choice,

Trebs
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 04:04 AM
If you have a set plan to breed a particular variety then get at least 4 of that strain. Otherwise it really dosen't matter. Getting different strains means maybe having to buy from different sources which can give a greater risk of introducing diease. Generally the more fancy varieties are not as hardy as the turks and pigeons.

Asthetically, I think it looks better to have the same strain fish in a tank, esp if its planted. I've seen display tanks with 5-6 strains mixed in and to me, it just doesn't look right.

flukes
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 04:23 PM
Well do you want them for breeding or a display tank? If your main goal is too breed you might be better of getting a mated pair too start with.

okrazykat
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 04:40 PM
I'm not really interested in breeding fish right now. I hope I'm not in the wrong forum. I do realize that most of you are into breeding and that makes your advice all the better. You know what your doing when it comes to this species.
My tank is a display tank only. I'm hoping to start with 6 juviniles and grow them into a peaceful adult group. Picking the right ones becomes more important as I plan to keep them for the next few years.
I agree that a mix of six totally different strains is an eyesore, but it's hard to choose only one of the many beautiful colorings available. What I really wanted to know was whether it was OK to mix strains as far as health and other aesthetics are concerned. For example, will the odd one out in a tank get stressed and grow dark?
Thanks for the tips.

flukes
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 05:00 PM
Personally i dont find miced strains an eye sore. In fact i like it for it brings color too the tank with differet colors and patterns.

You shouldnt have any trouble, they will try too establish a pecking order which is why you should stock with 6+ so the agression is spread over the group.

Some strains are a bit harder too keep but nothing big enough too be concerned about. In the end they all demand high quality clean water. If you do it for a turq then you do it for a leopard spotted snakeskin. Doesnt matter if it cost you $20 or $200 you will still fall in love with them and want the best for them.

Trebs
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 01:27 AM
I wasn't really into breeding and would be happy just to have a display tank, the fish however had other ideas...

You're certainly not in the wrong place.

I would suggest looking at as many display tanks as possible (both at fish shops and pics on the net). That's probably the best way to work out what sort of setup is for you. I have my views on what I like. In the end you will be looking at your tank a lot more than I will. So it's entirely up to you.

In terms of aggression and behaviour the mix of different strains doesn't seem to make a difference.

Flukes,
Agreed you should aim to keep the best conditions possible regardless of the strain kept. The garden varities are a little more forgiving and a smaller risk in capital outlay though.

Note: By mentioning price I'm not advocating discus are a disposable pet.

flukes
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 01:42 AM
Mate it wasnt a go at you, just a general statement.

Ok of course you would be a little more disheartened if your $200 leopard SS died and your $20 turq was happy as larry, but at the same time if your doing your water changes and keeping ideal conditions for the discus, it shouldnt happen.

okrazykat
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 02:44 AM
Am i the only Yankee on this site?
Thanks for the tips, again.
Joe

Proteus
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 02:47 AM
No I could personally name at least 20 from your side of the pond...

:wink: