PDA

View Full Version : New Discus question?

Dave001
Mon Apr 09, 2007, 10:38 AM
Hey everyone,

I picked up this Brown Discus a couple of weeks ago from the LFS, he was a little skinny and his eyes where a little cloudy, but was very active and ate whenever you put food in front of him.

I wormed him with levimasole the first week, I noticed him passing white jelly like poo the second week, so I dosed the tank with Octozin.

He has been very active and eating well since I finished the Octozin but I noticed him passing this poo tonight. To me it just looks like a bit of stomach lining, but thought I better check just in case it's tape worm?

Thanks,
Dave

scott bowler
Mon Apr 09, 2007, 11:20 AM
it is worms dave but if they are like that they are on there way out mate so the meds have done the job . but keep an eye on him and see how he goes. keep the food up to it and see that it starts to fill out if not you may have to dose again , it may have a big dose of the worms mate good luck with it

Dave001
Tue Apr 10, 2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks Scott. :)

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 11, 2007, 03:58 AM
From the photo he looks to be at least a couple of years old. Plenty of time for him to pick up a tapeworm or two.

I'd be getting hold of some gill fluke and tapeworm medication and treating with that. Lots of good brands on the market.

Levamisole treats for roundworm and threadworm. Doesn't touch tapeworm. You need a specific med for that. Your LFS will have what you need.

Dave001
Wed Apr 11, 2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks Merrilyn. :)
I have Prazi here, I'll dose the tank tonight.

Dave001
Fri Apr 13, 2007, 10:26 AM
Just done a 25% water change, been 48 hrs since I dosed the Prazi.

Looks like you called it right Merrilyn. :)

Thanks,
Dave

fishgeek
Fri Apr 13, 2007, 03:07 PM
the second to top picture , in my eye's shpws faeces stuck togethewr with mucous
not a specific worm of any type, just an indicator that the intestinal lining is irritated
just as the skin of discus will produce more slime coat with many irritants including water to parasites

and a question, just to reinforce how little i know
is that fish wrinkly? in the top picture
and is that normal?

andrew

Merrilyn
Sat Apr 14, 2007, 04:09 AM
Yep. Normal in older fish Andrew. :P