PDA

View Full Version : Wrigglers in a community tank

salza80
Mon Apr 09, 2007, 08:25 AM
Hi ,

very excited, i just noticed that i have a small bunch of wrigglers in my community tank of 5 discus. This the first time they have produced eggs at all, and they've managed to make it to wriggler stage. I didn't even know i had a pair.

My question is...is there anything i can do to help raise the young since the parents are in with 3 other discus? Perhaps i could move the other three to a second tank untill the fry are old enough to be moved.?
Or should i just let it play out and see what happens...and then move my pair to a breeding tank.

Also, i'm not sure if i should raise the young at all, since i won't be able to keep them all.. are young discus easy to sell/give away?
I'm just so interested in seeing them grow etc..

Thanks!

scott bowler
Mon Apr 09, 2007, 09:18 AM
salza80
well done i must say it is very rare for duscus to raise young in a community tank ,even more so if they are a young pair on there first batch .but if you want to give it a go , i would put a divider or yes move the other fish , maybe best, if they fry go then move the pair in to the tank them selfves .
if they are good parents they will feed the fry after they are free swimming for a 2weeks or so . but you will need to get fry food or hatch brine shrimp your self , and you will need to still do wc too day ly , good luck with it all scott

the german
Mon Apr 09, 2007, 09:57 AM
it is good training for the pair btu in the end you will have no luck,just too many thing that go wrong in a C tank,but now you can think about more tanks :lol:
let the light on 24/7 after day4 you have to feed baby brine shrip 4-6 times a day and WC every day in a C tank cleaning all uneaten BBS is nearly imposible,but like i said good training

michael

salza80
Tue Apr 10, 2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks for your replies.

Well i put a seperator in to keep the other 3 away from the pair, and watched my little wrigglers hatch tonight. They seemed to find thier parants fairly well, and started feeding, however, each time i go back to check on them, there seems to be fewer and fewer.
I think big red is eating them :(
So now there is one still swimming around its mother, and there are still a small bunch still attached to the side of the tank. But i think they are going to get eaten...

better luck next time i hope

Sal