PDA

View Full Version : Need some help getting some worming med.

turbo56k
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 12:15 AM
Hi,

I can't seem to find places on internet who carries Metronidazol, Praziquantal and Levamisole. Can someone please point me to the right directions. My fish needs help badly. thanks

T.56k

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 02:56 AM
Metro can only be supplied on a prescription. It's a restricted drug in Australia. You need to talk to your vet if you want metro.

An over the counter treatment that works in a similar manner to metro is Octozin by Waterlife, and that is available online from one of our sponsors, ASA or Xtreme Aquariums in Tarren Point.

Prazi is used to treat gill flukes and tapeworms. There are a number of good brands around, but they're noit usually sold as prazi. They'll more than likely have a name like "Gill Fluke and Tapeworm Treatment" You should be able to find it at your local aquarium or from an online store.

Levamisole is the one that some people have had trouble finding. We use it in the aquarium to treat roundworm and threadworm at the rate of 1ml per 7 litres of tank water. It's normally sold as a Pig and Poultry wormer, and comes under the name of "Sykes Big L" Pig and Poultry wormer. Any store that sells hay and produce will have it. A small bottle will last you for a very long time.

Don't be tempted to get wormer for cage birds (budgies and canaries) because most of them contain glucose, and that will cause a huge bacterial bloom in your tank. You need the one sold for pigs and poultry.

turbo56k
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 04:39 AM
thanks lady red. will check asa website when it comes online again :D

Dave001
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 12:34 PM
You can get Levamisole here:

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/product.php?productid=16807&cat=393&page=1

Hearthemchainsdiscus
Tue Apr 17, 2007, 03:40 AM
you can get metro and prazi from Dr. Foster and Smith's website, don't know if they ship to Oz?