PDA

View Full Version : Hi New to Tropical Fish

JPortRx3
Mon Apr 02, 2007, 01:24 PM
Hi All,

Well im new to tropical fish.

I bought a 130l tank about a month ago.... it's great... awesome feature for my new house.... at the momment i have 10 tetra neons.... 2 bristlenose catfish to chomp up the algae (and are doing a great job).

I was happy with the levels... 30 degrees...
7.o PH... zero amonia.... so i decided to take the plunge and get two Cobalt Discus.

They are going well.... they are a little shy.... hide in the Amazon Swords and behind the logs... I have seen one of them eating.... the other not really as yet... One of them is slightly small and at times gets chased away from the food.... hope that doesn't turn out to be a problem.

Have read on the website that bristle nose like zucini... they are yet to eat it so will see in time if they take to it.

Like the website.. well done.. very informative.

Cheers

J

Bald_noggin
Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:20 PM
Welcome onboard JPortRx3 and also to the world of fish keeping.

You can also try a bit of boiled lettuce. My Bristlenose's love it as does the Siamese Algae Eater!

And by the way, noticed your name and thought you may be into cars so here is some pics of my Bro in law's BPortRx 4. :D

Cheers mate!

JPortRx3
Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:30 PM
Dont mind rotaries thats for sure... This is my Rx3

Bald_noggin
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 12:58 AM
Must have spent a bit of time/money of the body work to paint it black!

It looks good mate.

Here's my baby.

JPortRx3
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 01:20 AM
have a soft spot for the old GTS Monaro.

P.S. its royal blue - but just as bad as black.

Bald_noggin
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 01:32 AM
P.S. its royal blue - but just as bad as black.

Doh!!! Sorry bout that. It just looks black on my monitor.

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 03:39 AM
Welcome to the forum JPort. Seems like you've already made a friend.

You'll find lots of friendly fish keepers on here.

Hope you enjoy your time with us. :P

JPortRx3
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 04:31 AM
Thanks... finding the website to be really useful so far - answers most of my questions... but the bristlenose still are not into the whole Zucini thing as yet - worried they will run out of algae and starve.

I must admit that i wake up every morning fearful that the discus will be floating :oops: i have already had a couple of clown loaches die within 24 hours of putting in the aquarium. .. I was told Discus are even fussier so its a bit of a worry.

As for the Tetra Neons they seem pretty indistructable - eat anything.

Cheers

J

JPortRx3
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 12:51 PM
Pics of the tank.

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 01:13 PM
Don't worry about the bristlenose. Never known one to starve yet. They'll eat left over discus food if nothing else is available. Keep offering them a slice of zucchini on the end of a fork (so it sinks) and they'll soon come to accept it.

Discus are tough little critters. Give them clean water, good food and warmth, and they'll thrive :P

rthnone
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 02:46 PM
Welcome.

Those cars are fully sik

Bad Inferno
Wed Apr 11, 2007, 02:15 PM
Nice wheels guy's....Looks like I'll have to scan pic's of my RX5 and RX7, was 17 years ago though..

rob
Oh nearly forgot....welcome J Port