PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami Alert - East Coast Australia

Proteus
Sun Apr 01, 2007, 11:17 PM
For those of you that havent been watching TV or listening to the radio they have just confirmed and increased the Tsunami alert for East Coast Australia.

At 1st the warning was for Cooktown and Nth Qld islands and coastal communities only, however given that a Tsunami has now been confirmed (it hit the Solomon islands 12 minutes ago) the entire Eastern seaboard from Tasmania to Cape York has been put on alert.

Further to this if you live on the coast, especially up north, listen for announcements from local authorities.

They have stressed that nothing can be confirmed as yet, it could just result in a tide swell of 10-20cm, it could be nothing, it could be a few feet...

goldenpigeon
Mon Apr 02, 2007, 12:33 AM
haha im screwed!
only just found out about it.
looking on the news now to get more info.
hope it doesnt effect us too much!

cheers
David

Proteus
Mon Apr 02, 2007, 12:36 AM
I think all alerts have been scaled back for Australia, if not cancelled.

Sounds like a fair bit of damage was done in the Solomons and PNG other than that not much happenned down here.

Kingkat
Mon Apr 02, 2007, 03:16 AM
I am about 1 hour south of Cairns and we didn't have any effects, not even a rise in the tides.

DiscusMad
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 12:02 AM
went down to bondi beach yesterday and they made and they told us all that we could stay if we wanted to but would like people to leave LOL

Robdog
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:35 AM
I will go out on a limb and say that the East Coast of Australia will never be hit by a Tsunami of Today Tonight proportions or any other in my lifetime!

Sydney coastline is cliffs so give it your best shot Nature. Beachside suburbs, start paddling! :lol: