PDA

View Full Version : Kh Value in your tank

D.J
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 01:38 PM
Just wondering what people keep their Kh at?
Also how do you maintain it?
My problem is, I have a Ph of 7.2, and everytime I tried to bring it down to around 6.8 by using peat, my Kh also drops and the result is sometimes I have a Ph crash.
I tried aging my water by keeping it in a bucket for 2 days, at the start the ph is 7.85 and after 2 days it only dropped to around 7.6, then I tried puting peat in the bucket while I age the water, the result is fantastic, but the Kh also dropped, so I am really confused of what I should do.

Donald.

flukes
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 01:44 PM
Mine sits at 2-3kh because it so low and sometimes lower i keep up regular water changes so that there isnt a ph swing.

You can add bi carb soda which will increase it, but i think it will also increase the ph.

In the end you better of not bothering and just doing regular water changes.

D.J
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 01:51 PM
Yeah I've tried using Kh plus and you are right, they do increase the ph as well.
I've tried to do regular w/c, every 2nd day, but as the ph out of the tap is really high and the ph in my tank is quite high, I ended up with a high Ph and around 2 dkh.
Unlike Melbourne's water that drops overnight, somehow Sydney's water stays high.
I've also tried puting a tap water in a cup overnight as you suggested in another forum, but the next day it only drop by 0.1, which is not low enough.
So I really don't know of how to keep the Ph down as well as maintaining the Kh value.

flukes
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 01:54 PM
What are you calling a high ph,? It could take longer than 24hours for the ph too drop depending on what has been mixed into the water by the water company.

D.J
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 02:05 PM
What are you calling a high ph,? It could take longer than 24hours for the ph too drop

My tank sits at 7.3 and the ph fresh from tap is 7.85
I've also tried to age it for 48 hours but again it only dropped a further 0.2 to around 7.5

I am confussed....... :cry:

flukes
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 02:11 PM
Had the same problem with my planted tank. For some reason i tracked it down too the undergravel filter, with all the much underneath it was causing the ph to drop.

I nver used a UG for a planted discus tank again..

weird
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 02:33 PM
Currently I am blasting the water, from a water gun connected to a normal water hose, which is connected to my laundry tap. I am hoping that blasting the water will speed up the process ? I am doing this into a plastic bin, and pointing it away from my glass heater. When I start using the 3 foot tank under my 4 footer I will stop this practice as I may break the glass (but will be able to hold a larger amount of water so will increase the amount I change and the period which I change it in which is currently every night, i.e. 10% every day going to about 25% every 2nd day). But anyway, I was under the impression if you blasted the water from your tap it sped up the process, however I could easily be wrong.