PDA

View Full Version : Lighting and Discus Behavior?

dntx5b9
Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:34 PM
I was just wondering if there is a lighting setup that makes the discus more active vs. less active. I have a 220W CF setup for my 90G tank (48" long and 24" high). The light has 4 55W bulbs and two switches. I have two daylight bulbs and two 50/50 (blue). My discus seem more active when I have the 50/50 on vs. just the daylight bulbs. Is this my imagination or do discus like the blue 50/50 lights?

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 28, 2007, 05:35 AM
They all seem to prefer subdued lighting.

Bright lighting makes them easy for a predator to see, so they spend more time hiding in the plants, or around the driftwood.

Just a natural instinct to avoid being eaten, I guess.

dntx5b9
Wed Mar 28, 2007, 04:15 PM
By the way, how long do people leave the lights on their tanks? I have always had the lights on all day long in to the evening, but I have started to leave the lights off during the day and turn them on when I get home from work and leave them on until around 10 at night. By the way, my discus looks a lot better and active at night. Is this normal?

fish_r
Wed Mar 28, 2007, 11:39 PM
i have my lights on 12hrs a day 7.30am - 7.30pm "but i have live plants"
the fish are active during the day and when the lights go off they sleep.

dntx5b9
Fri Mar 30, 2007, 03:46 PM
What time of day are the discus most active? I think I trained mine to be night owls. My guys don't move around much during the day, staying dark and getting me concerned, but they get real active during the evening in to the night. Swimming around, better coloring, looking for food, and stuff. Is this normal?