PDA

View Full Version : Head Damage - How to treat?

Kingkat
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 09:55 AM
I have a discus who hit his head on the bracing at the top of the tank when he got startled. He lost a bit of skin above his eyes and it seems to be eroding a little bit rather than getting better. Any tips for treatment?
Cheers,
David.

Xtreme
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 10:53 AM
Try some melafix, its great for fin damage and cuts

Usually does the job Dave

Cheers Wayne

Bill T
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 10:57 AM
Many of us do not like melafix with discus. It seems to effect their slime coat.

stonedavid
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 11:02 AM
Hi David,
I wld use metro as if it is starting to erode a small scrape can turn into something major.
I had a female get stuck behind an outlet pipe last month and although no skin was broken u cld see there was a bruise.
Within a couple of days the bruise turned into a sore and she ended up with an eroded sore about the size of a 10c piece. Didn't take any chances as she is a really good parent.
Metro fixed it and she is back to normal, that will teach her to chase after gecko's on the outside of the tank.

scott bowler
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 11:29 AM
kingkat i think that melafix will do the trick, metro may be a little hard for this sort of thing. i would use metro if it was a more searious illness not a head wound. sorry i dont aggree stonedavid

stonedavid
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 11:53 AM
I am just going on the information David has supplied, at first he states the fish "has lost a bit of skin". Normally this wld be treatable with Melafix, but then David goes on to say "eroding". Cuts that start to erode on the edges very quickly turn into gaping ulcerated sores as deep as they are wide. And if u dont act quickly you lose the fish. David needs to keep an close eye on the fish as the situation can get out of hand very quickly. I tend not to use metro but have found it very handy with eroding ulcerated sores shld it come to that.

samir
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 11:55 AM
low the ph and keep water clean. any chance of a pic

Kingkat
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Sorry Samir I don't have a digi cam at the moment. Normally I would try Melafix but it looks a bit past that. This fish went into a metro bath according to the sticky a couple of days after it damaged the skin and it still doesn't look very good after 6 days in the metro.

Kingkat
Mon Mar 26, 2007, 06:27 AM
I have had another look today and the hole is deeper. It doesn't look red or inflamed or fungusy it is just a neat gouge with clean neat edges. My main concern is that it is close to the eye sockets. Any other ideas?
Cheers,
David.

fishgeek
Mon Mar 26, 2007, 06:43 AM
if the wound is clean and is from trauma then clean water and good diet with time should allow to heal

secondary infection is your concern, sometimes topical ointment can be aplied to debrided wounds to give them some protection from secondary infection in the early stages

with yours i would jus wait and mnitor

andrew

martraci
Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:15 AM
salt is good
ive got a clumsy one bumps his head, clears up in a couple of days

Kingkat
Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:32 AM
Normally salt would work well but this time it's way past salt.
Cheers,
David.

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 26, 2007, 11:59 AM
Give it time David. It will heal. So long as it's not red and stays clean looking, it will be fine.

Kingkat
Mon Mar 26, 2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks Merrilyn, I was just concerned because it's getting deeper.
Cheers.

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 26, 2007, 12:08 PM
I know David, but you can expect the dead skin to slough off before it begins filling in and healing.

Be patient :P

mistakes r crucial
Mon Mar 26, 2007, 08:10 PM
Hi David,

With cuts and grazes I always used Bettadine with good results. Net the fish, lay it on a wet towel and put several drops on to the affected area. Let it soak in for 30 seconds or so. If it's real bad repeat that every day for a few days, if not every 2 days should do it. If it's already infected I would keep the Metro up to it, don't want to take any chances with major infections and end up losing a good fish.
MAC

Kingkat
Thu Apr 05, 2007, 02:38 AM
Thanks all for the input. I used Metro and the Bettadine drops Mac and it is healing up nicely.
Cheers,
David.

mistakes r crucial
Thu Apr 05, 2007, 02:46 AM
Glad to hear it.
MAC

stonedavid
Thu Apr 05, 2007, 02:54 AM
Glad to hear it is healing up nicely Dave, I have never used bettadine on fish, so will keep that one for next time. I alway try to use meds sparingly but sometimes its necessary to use them especially when cuts start to worsen which cld be detrimental to the fish's health.
Pete

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 05, 2007, 03:52 AM
That's good news David.