PDA

View Full Version : Algae harmful to discus?

sphed
Sat Mar 24, 2007, 06:26 PM
Hello, I just bought a snakeskin 3 days ago. He is eating and swimming around and seems to be doing fine. The problem is i have an outbreak of algae. I think it is diatoms but im not completely sure. Anyway, the discus likes to nibble on the algae and my question is do you think the algae is harmful to him or beneficial to him? I want to clean the algae but i dont want to spook him and stress him out. What should I do?

nicholas76
Sat Mar 24, 2007, 10:42 PM
An algae bloom tends to suggest you may have a water issue.

Is this tank new? sounds like you are over feeding and or maybe leave your tanks lights on too much.

Increase your water changes and clean it off.

Alage wont harm yoru fish but get on top of it before it gets on top of you.

Nothing sux more then having to spend a ton of time scrubing hardend algae.

FishLover
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 03:07 AM
Nothing sux more then having to spend a ton of time scrubing hardend algae.

Tell me about it. :oops:

The back wall of my tank is coved with it. I shut my lights at noon time and I put 2 albino BNs in there. It is now start to clean up.

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 26, 2007, 11:32 AM
Welcome to the forum sphed.

Algae is not a real disaster in a tank. In fact, there are a lot of good things about it, but it is unsightly, so most people want to remove it.

Perhaps remove t from the front glass and side walls. but leave some for the fish to nibble on. He must be getting something out of it.

If your tank is planted, then yes, it's a problem, because it can cover your plants. But if you have a bare tank, with just driftwood and perhaps plastic plants, it won't do any harm.