PDA

View Full Version : Possible Worms?

foo
Sat Mar 24, 2007, 12:44 AM
I have read many posts regarding white poo and it all seem to relate to being intestinal worms.

I need help from more experienced discus lovers to identify the picture and possibly provide a remedy for it.

foo
Sat Mar 24, 2007, 12:48 AM
Ooops... had to resize the pic..

sorry

foo
Sat Mar 24, 2007, 12:52 AM
a closer view

the german
Sat Mar 24, 2007, 03:58 AM
looks like a tapeworm to me.
the fish is also very skinny.i dont know if levamisol works against tapeworms,maybe other members have any idea

samir
Sat Mar 24, 2007, 04:52 AM
metronidazole, there's a post somewhere on the new dose.

the old dosage I used was 400mg/ 40 litres every 12 hours for 3 days, the leftover in a beefheart mix to be fed once they start eating (1000mg in 100gm mix) fed exclusively till poo is black for 3-4 days straight. keep temperature around 30 degrees plus

another thing that I've recently discovered that helps is a ph of 4 - 5, after 2-3 days the fish start eating again and then a beefheart mix with metro can be fed. better to just go the metro way, very low ph can be dangerous.

foo
Sat Mar 24, 2007, 06:29 AM
Thanks guys...

Will start with the treatment ASAP

foo
Mon Mar 26, 2007, 03:39 PM
guys... im abit confused...

is metro a de-wormer? I have read that if a fish has signs of HITH then metro is the best remedy...

is white poo a symptom of HITH or worms? if so, should i use levamisole after using metro?

samir
Mon Mar 26, 2007, 03:48 PM
do the metro, there's a post by Squid on the new dose.

fishgeek
Mon Mar 26, 2007, 07:31 PM
metronidazol is not a dewormer

if the suggestion of tapeworm is true then levamisol is not an appropriate medication, rather praziquantel would be

can you catch the feaces and examine them under a microscope?
if that hanging from the fish is actually a worm rather tahn congealed mucous and waste , it is very large
at a guess more cestodes or tapewoms are white to yellow so it could quite easily be
nematodes more commoly are white or red

metronidazol is a most commonly used against intestinal protozoan infections

andrew

samir
Mon Mar 26, 2007, 11:17 PM
its definitely not a tapeworm. metro will fix it

foo
Mon Mar 26, 2007, 11:36 PM
cool... two of my discus have been in the medical tank treated with metro for 3 days now... today will be their third day... i'll be doing the water change tonight and see if the symptoms still persist...