PDA

View Full Version : long body

scuba123cliff
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 08:07 AM
Hi
Just wondering if any one can tell me why my discus have gone to a body shape that is longer than it is higher the fish looked ok when i got them. They are in a 20inch deep 4 ft tank ,the tank is planted gets a 30% water change once a week they get feed twice a day (beefhart .bloodworms,flake,and mozzie larve )
hope some one can help .
Cliff

the german
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:05 AM
welcome to the forum cliff.

they should be round like the name says discus.
how old are your discus?maybe they need more then 2 feeds a day.
when you got them how old they were then or how big?
juv. discus need 4--6 feeds a day.

michael

Andrew Soh
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 02:08 PM
Hello Cliff,

Don't worry. This is usually congenital and you cannot do much about it....only through heavy feeding can you make it thicker and thus looks better.

Basically, when discus are will fed when they are young...most of them look rounded.....some even with slightly higher body form.....(but don't be mistaken with the so-called "bulldog or Bat or Super high body".....their form are due to other reasons beside genetics).....

So, as the discus grow....those that have genetic trait or prediposed for long body will grow long as they age.....some start growing long as early as 4 months.......(most obvious when they are sick)..... while there are others that get longer as they age...especially after 1 1/2 years old and for those that are genetically round, they will stay rounded till old age..maybe slightly longer...but definitely still look pretty round.....ever when they are very thin and sick.

Take care,
Andrew :wink:

scuba123cliff
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks guys something to look at i was told at one shop that it was becuse the tank wasnt deep enough but that seemed strange.I have nearly finished setting up a fish room and have angels, altum angels,b/nose and discus (red spot/blue,cobolt blue, red turks,p/blood,red dragon,sunset and just got 2 wild heckels). The room has 15 tanks in mostly 4 ft and 3 ft it has a drainage system and a fill system, water is stored in 3x 200lt drums 75%tap 25% ro.So any advice will be taken on board,i have allways had fish but discus are my new goal, if any one in adelaide would like to get in touch that would be great ,i am looking foward to putting in my two cents worth when i can so thats guys.
Cliff

Andrew Soh
Sat Mar 24, 2007, 12:25 AM
I think you can put in more than your 2 cents worth :wink: ....

You have 15 tanks....wowww.....in hobbyists' standard....you are a pro 8-)

Take care,

sammigold
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks guys something to look at i was told at one shop that it was becuse the tank wasnt deep enough but that seemed strange.
Cliff

:lol: :lol: :roll:

Its amazing what some people say when trying to think of a reason for something they know nothing about. :lol:
I dont understand why they cant just be honest and say "you know, I really dont know! sorry" I know that I would respect the truth without thinking any less of that person.

Hi Cliff! you sound like you are in your element with that many tanks. A true case of MTS (Multiple tank syndrome)

bye
sammi

nicholas76
Tue Mar 27, 2007, 07:03 AM
say Andrew can you explain what the term bulldog means.

ive noticed it pop a few times now.

Andrew Soh
Tue Mar 27, 2007, 08:16 AM
Bulldog...according to my explanation is a discus with deformed spinal core....which can be due to mulnutrition or a result of TB mycobacterium or similar bacterium infection to the spine...........that force the spine to weaken and bend known as lordosis..(Super short and high body discus)

But in the market...many breeders claim it is genetic...as usual.......and many are selling them at 10 times the price of the normal Blue Diamond (This is a strain that started the brand name "Bulldog".

And in less than 2 years, Lordosis occur to other fix strains of discus in those same hatcheries.......so I have my reservation as to whether it is a gentic trait.

***Do you think if a black woman sleep with me on the same bed and no copulation,...her child with her husband will look like me?***

Take care,