PDA

View Full Version : My experience with LFS and discus breeders in Maryland, USA

Hearthemchainsdiscus
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 03:32 PM
Hello All,

I have over the past 2 years been to most of the pet stores in the DC, Baltimore, Annapolis Metropolitan area. I thought I would share my experinces with everyone and hopefully Marylanders.

APet, Annapoils, http://www.apet.net/. This fish store closed in October 2005. Nice local fish store, descent prices and healthy fish. They closed as soon as I found out about the store. They do have another location in Elkridge, but I haven't been there.

Hose of Tropicals, Glen Burnie. http://www.houseoftropicals.net/. They have both marine and freshwater tropical plants and animals. They stock fishtanks and products. They offer discus for sale. Most are large and expensive. They do stock smaller discus but not the best quality. They did buy back some of my fish when I moved my tank. That was cool. One thing I do not like about the store is that they do not have adequate information below the tanks on what they are selling. I have purchased numerous fish from them and if in the area would recommend at least stopping in.

Aqaurium Center, Randallstown. www.aquariumcenter.com. Nice store, friendly staff. Large selection of freshwater and marine plants and animals. Good selection of Discus average prices. Good information on species offered displayed below tank. They stock products and fish tank set ups. I would recommend checking them out.

Exotic Aquatics, Parkville. http://www.exoticaquatics.com/. In my opinion the best fish store I have found, so far, in Maryland. All the tanks are clean and the stock look healthy. There is no musty smell in the store. They have a wide variety of marine and freshwater plants and animals. They stock products and fish tank setups. They had a large selection of live rock, but I don't know if it was expensive? The had a nice selection of discus. They stock Stendker Discus, and this is how I found the store. I bought a 2" blue diamond and solid fire red for $30 USD each. I also bought a 3" pigeon blood for $50 USD. They have a great selection of freshwater plants and I bought about 5 different varieties. It is now my preferred LFS.

Gwynnbrook Farm, Owings Mills. http://www.discushatchery.com/. Discus Breeder. Mostly online sales but does accept visits on an appointment basis, call for times, if you want to purchase in person. I bought a 2" tangerine, brilliant turq, and snakeskin from him for $35 each. He has a nice variety of healthy discus at a wide range of sizes. If local enough I would recommend making an appointment and checking them out. They also sell online, but their is a minumum order requirement. I recommend them and will buy from them again in the future.

I always keep my eye out for more fish stores to check out. If and when I find another I will post my experience on the forum.

mcloughlin2
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the information Hearthemchainsdiscus.

I'm sure this will help out alot of discus newmbies over there. :P

Sam

nicholas76
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:08 PM
Hearthemchainsdiscus

I assume you are from NSW? please update your profile so we know what part of the world your from.

FishLover
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:48 PM
Maryland is one of the states in USA.

Proteus
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:31 PM
Maryland is also a large town here in NSW lol

Maybe a couple of seperate threads should be started up for reviews on both U.S. and Aussie shops/Discus breeders.

Of course due to litigation issues all reviews would need to be srutinised regarding what wording is used, however if a store has a bad rap, well, they can wear it. ( so long as the facts are at hand )

Thoughts?

Robdog
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 01:37 AM
Maryland is also a large town here in NSW

Natural Salt Water???
Sorry, too many marine forums :roll:

Hearthemchainsdiscus, forget the rest, go to the best.
4413 Necker Avenue
Baltimore
21236 Maryland U.S.A.
Tel: (00) 1 443 992 6972
Open only on appointment.
Please please please go there and report back. :wink:

Hearthemchainsdiscus
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:57 AM
thanks nicholas76 for bringing it to my attention that I didn't have my location near my avatar, I 've added it now.

Proteus, I had no idea there was a town in Oz that had the same name. I guess we can blame the brits for naming almost everthing in the world, :-). You are right about being careful with the wording. My idea was and is to tell you the best things that I find about the companies and not so much the bad stuff.

Robdog, I'll check the lead you gave me and let everyone know how I get on. How did you find out about them?

dntx5b9
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:39 PM
Another addition to a list find MD LFS, check out the Scales Tropical Fish Warehouse in Cloverly, MD. http://www.scales-tfw.com/ I will only buy my fish from this store. They also have Stendker discus, and their price is even better than ones on the list. 2.5" for $25!!! They Q all their fish before being put on sale and quality of their stock is excellent. Very friendly and can't get better than these guys.

Hearthemchainsdiscus
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 01:06 PM
thanks dntx5b9 for the lead. They slipped under my radar :-). I checked out their website, but their links from their homepage arent' working. I'll try and stop by and check em out.

Robdog, the lead you gave me, Hans Discus, only sells to wholesalers :(. I will contact them and see if they'll let me at least look at the stock.

dntx5b9
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 01:48 PM
By the way, Hans Discus in Baltimore is the Stendker discus. That's where Scales get their discus from.

Robdog
Sat Mar 24, 2007, 12:49 AM
I must have overlooked the wholesale part. They definitely have some spectacular fish in there.
Sounds like that Scales place might be the next best thing.