View Full Version : Discus Behavious

gobygills
Wed Mar 21, 2007, 04:09 AM
I bought my discus about 5 weeks ago

they range in size from 5cm - 10cm

i have 5 of them in a tank with driftwood and amazon swords

Everytime i go near the tank they swim away from me and hide in the corner

the water conditions are fine and the tank is in pristine condition

ive tried holding the frozen cubes of bloodworms in my fingers until it melts to see if they associate me with food but i dont think its working

how do i make my discus love me ??

the german
Wed Mar 21, 2007, 08:30 AM
welcome to the forum gobygills.

do they eat?
when they eat well yust give them time to really settle in,maybe you give us your water parameters to have a look maybe they are not as good as you think.

michael

Bill T
Wed Mar 21, 2007, 10:34 AM
Give them time, approach the tank slowly, keep your fingers out of the water for now. Before long they will be pesterring you every time you walk near the tank - but don't give in as you will end up overfeeding!

JNS
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 06:54 AM
Just today I noticed my discus FINALLY going up to the surface of the tank when I approached it at feeding time. It has taken them about 8 weeks to figure out where they need to be if they want first dibs on the food.

Just be patient, they will come around. Do your routine and try not to startle them too much. Discus are kind of set in their ways, but these ways can be changed....especially when food is involved.

gobygills
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 07:31 AM
Everytime i walk up to the tank they swim away

HOWEVER

when i crawl to the tank and pop my head up from the bottom that come and look at me ......until i stand up, then they run away

i guess its like that old saying....you have to crawl before you can walk

slow and steady

and YES they are eating

is it better to get food that floats on the surface for longer ?? will that make them move to the surface to eat ?

the more advice the better guys
wat do discus LOVE to eat ?

Bill T
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 02:00 AM
Perhaps some frozen blood worms will help them overcome shyness?