PDA

View Full Version : WTB Foreground plants

aussieorchid
Tue Mar 20, 2007, 05:43 AM
I am chasing some foreground plants suitable for a medium light discus tank.

Maybe something like Dwarf Sagittaria (Sagittaria subulata) or pigmy chain sword (Echinodorus tenellus) I am open to suggestions but prefer something fairly easy to grow and do not mind paying postage to Brisbane.

My 4ft planted discus tank sprung a leak last week so I am taking the opportunity to redo the landscape when it arrives back at the end of this week.

ILLUSN
Tue Mar 20, 2007, 09:20 AM
get onto EBAY there are a few people selling chail swords (pigmy,narrow and broadleaf) but for a nice low dense growth you'll need high light. for med light you could tie java moss to slate or another flat stone, wood etcith fishing line and it looks VERY GOOD. most low forground plants need high light to stay low and look good.
sorry i cant be of more help.

aussieorchid
Wed Mar 21, 2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the reply I checked out ebay but there is only one person selling chain swords at the moment and he has 1 plant for sale. I am trying to get enough to at least look not too bare on a 4ft front of the tank. May have to see if any of the LFS can get me a good price for ordering in several pots at once.

DiscusEden
Wed Mar 21, 2007, 11:57 AM
Have you tried any of the online sponsers here?

aussieorchid
Wed Mar 21, 2007, 12:00 PM
That might be my next step as I though I would give any members a chance if that had any to sell but seems not. I am still a little undecided on what to actually use as well.

DiscusEden
Wed Mar 21, 2007, 12:15 PM
I'd like to help, but I don't know. Maybe try posting the question in the amazon garden section?

There's a forum called plantgeek that a lot of people in the know swear by as well.

There was a recent link in the amazon garden section to a plant guide list on plantgeek that might be useful.

HTH

Robdog
Wed Mar 21, 2007, 11:46 PM
I have a decent clump of hair grass you can have. I think you'd need CO2 and a fair bit of light and good substrate to grow it well though.
If your interested let me know. It's probably the size of a large side plate.

aussieorchid
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the offer but I have tried hairgrass before and it never seems to grow well in my tank and always gathers algae so thats why I was maybe going to try Dwarf Sagittaria or pigmy chain sword and see if I have better growht with them.

ILLUSN
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 06:19 AM
even cain sword will need ATLEAST med light and CO2 to grow well. i tried it in some low(1-2WpG) and it never did great just tall stringy growth.