PDA

View Full Version : Surrogate parents

Squid
Sun Mar 18, 2007, 09:34 AM
Just posted a picture of a wild X brown female of mine who surrogates perfectly for any babies I throw in there. Don't have a problem with egg eating parents any more - just take the eggs out, hatch them and drop them in her tank.

Has anyone else out there done or seen this before. anyway - put the photos in the 'photos' forum. Be interested in hearing your replies.
Squid

stonedavid
Mon Mar 19, 2007, 12:51 PM
Hey squid, I have 2 female discus that i had put out to pasture due to their age. Unfortunately they paired up and kept laying eggs together so thought it best to get other batches out of them. They are perfect with eggs or babies and have even put 2 batches of eggs in at same time and they handled them no problem at all, interchanging fry with each other when they get tired of the bubs.
Wld like to test them and see if they wld go solo as well , will have to try it.
Pete

Squid
Mon Mar 19, 2007, 10:47 PM
Hi mate - still wet up there? Its great when you get a fish(es) like that. means you can raise just about anything - and really help when you are trying to raise Heckels. The slightest bump and those Heckels will destroy the batch, so its best to give them to someone who is more sound at child raising. Sounds like you have a very good nursery and Kindergarten going up there with those two young ladies.

Squid

stonedavid
Wed Mar 21, 2007, 03:47 AM
Yeah still raining cats and dogs here mate, am tiring of it a bit, i come home to find fighters swimming on the lawn when the ponds overflow and am a bit tired of picking them up, even with the overflow holes they want to escape. Yes i agree with having surrogates as they never falter from raising a batch even when i have my hand in the tank cleaning it. I sometimes wish all of my pairs were like these two wld make life so much easier.