PDA

View Full Version : When do discus stop growing.

chrissyoscar
Thu Sep 30, 2004, 09:50 PM
I've had my male Red Turq for at least 18mths now and he would of been at least 4-6 mths when I got him so that'll make him around 2 years old.
Since moving him to the breeding tank about 3mths ago I swear he's grown. When I first put him in there he was only slightly bigger than the female but now when I look at him it quite noticable that he's larger.
I do feed them more in the bare bottom breeding tanks as it's a lot easier to control and clean.
Now to the question, when do discus stop growing?
It's a little hard to tell if my male has actually grown larger or if he's just filled out more giving the allusion he's grown.

Oscar

PS. My Red Turq's laid eggs about 7 days ago but the eggs where eaten within 6 hrs and it looks like they'll lay eggs again this weekend so fingers crossed. My Spotted Snakeskin and Fineline Snakeskin laid eggs yesterday. From what I'm aware of this is the first time they've laid since I moved them into the breeding tank 2 mths ago. IF I get wrigglers I'll post pics.

wyldchyld01
Fri Oct 01, 2004, 02:03 AM
chrissyoscar,

as far as i've found my discus reached full size at about 3 yrs (most of them are 20 cm plus nose to caudal node)

However once they bred they stopped growing from whatever size they were and stayed that same size from then on. They do fill out as you said, especially if i feed them a lot before i think they are going to lay eggs (mine don't eat a lot when tending eggs so i try to beef them up a little so as to reduce stress).

Has anyone else found this to be the case??

Hope this helps in answering your query

Brenton

chrissyoscar
Fri Oct 01, 2004, 05:43 AM
Thanks for that Brenton.

Yeah I'm pretty sure mine has grown around 1cm since adding him to the breeding tank.
I thought he was fully grown but I'm glad to see he's still growing as there's nothing nicer than a large healthy discus.
He's about 14cm now and as he's breeding I'm not sure if he'll get any larger but I hope he does.

Oscar

wyldchyld01
Fri Oct 01, 2004, 09:44 AM
i agree before mine paired off they were happy swimming in a 6x2x2 tank, looked great....

saw a movie once of a german breeder (a prolific person who started discus breeding cheaply with a lot of lines to his name but which i forget atm) who had a wall tank and about 20 to 30 big (huge) discus swimming in a school around logs etc looked really impressive and i hope to mimic it someday

ah dreams he he he, what we poor can only achieve in our dreams

Brenton