PDA

View Full Version : Salt??

kaiser72
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 06:04 AM
hi guys, can someone tell me the benifits of salt usage. the quantity & how frequently to use it please. is pool salt ok to use? i have a 20kg bag of it.

Cheers, Troy

the german
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 10:55 AM
hi troy

some poeple use while other medications to help the discus get over higer nitrate readings it helps them breathing i think.

i use it when i get new fish in my Q tank it is good against some external parasites.

i put 2gr per l water for 5-7 days.

michael

kaiser72
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 11:19 AM
Cheers mate, thanks for the info.
Troy

mistakes r crucial
Sun Mar 18, 2007, 06:42 PM
It also helps with their slime coat and is a good general tonic. 1tspn per 40 litres.
MAC

BT Gunner
Mon Mar 19, 2007, 09:10 PM
so is pool salt ok?

dntx5b9
Tue Mar 20, 2007, 02:45 AM
My understanding is that some of the popular tank mates such as cardinals and rummy noses don't do well with salt. I also heard that salt is no no if you have clown loaches in the tank. Is that right?

the german
Tue Mar 20, 2007, 11:35 AM
i dont know about other fish then discus and royal pleco dntx...
sorry.

hey btgunner i also dont know waht apart from salt is in pool salt but i guess there is a reason why there call it pool salt so you better of with rock salt or similar

michael

gfindura
Tue Mar 20, 2007, 02:32 PM
My understanding is that some of the popular tank mates such as cardinals and rummy noses don't do well with salt. I also heard that salt is no no if you have clown loaches in the tank. Is that right?

No, clown loaches are fine with a small concentration of salt in the water. I usually put about half a cup (or a 4 oz. measuring cup filled) of salt per 50 US gallons of water in most of my tanks. My African cichlid tanks usually get a little more.

-Greg

Hearthemchainsdiscus
Sat Mar 24, 2007, 11:51 PM
I thought aquarium salt was bad to use with discus?

scuba123cliff
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 12:16 AM
So why do we go to so much trouble to get the water right for the fish and then drop salt in to it. I have heard of this for white spot but not for fish that come from no were near the sea

the german
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 12:31 AM
you use salt as a medication,not for long terms.
it is not bad for discus,just think about what else we put in our tanks when our fish are sick.anibiotics dewormer ect.
so salt is harmless against all the other stuff.

michael

scuba123cliff
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 12:33 AM
Good point

sammigold
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 07:57 AM
Here is a link to an article about salt in a freshwater aquarium...
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/treatment/a/saltiinfresh.htm

it is quite informative...

some things it mentions is plants dont like salt...

I have used salt with catfish and loaches in small amounts and find that they are fine. I do make sure that the salt is totally dissolved in a container filled with tank water prior to putting it into the tank.

It is especially helpful with nitrite poisoning..(coming from experience when I had this issue in a guppy tank. I think it was instrumental in saving my guppies. that and the frequent water changes over 2 days and the inclusion of an airstone to help circulate oxygen.

there is another article about the use of salt in a tank.. you may like to read that too.. here is a link to that article posted here on discusforums a while back..
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7113

hth
cheers
sammi

martraci
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 09:14 AM
i use 1tsp/40lts
my rummys, cardinals, corys and congos dont seem to mind the salt although once i O.D the salt (about double) and one rummy went belly up