PDA

View Full Version : Stocking rates

DiscusEden
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 12:19 AM
Hi,

I know this might be pushing it, but want to check before I give up on the idea:

I've got an 80L orca tank (yay!), which I'm wanting to put some baby discus in until they're big enought to go in the 6ft tank.

I was getting 2 of the golden albinos (5cm), but now I'm eyeing off an alenquer or 2 as well. Could I safely raise 3 in there, then move them into the big tank when they're big enough to hold their own?

How many w/c's would I have to do a week? (I'd prefer 1 big w/c a week if I can, but if they need it can do more often).

TIA! :D

Robdog
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 12:32 AM
I say go for it. You know what you're doing.
Just get a 20L bucket from Bunnings and do a bucket a day if you want.

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 01:57 AM
You'll be fine DE.

Daily water changes will probably be necessary, but that will help with the growth of the juveniles too.

Go for it. :P

DiscusEden
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 03:09 AM
Excellent!

I don't know what gives you the impression I know what I'm doing, but I got the answer I wanted, so I'm very happy! Thankyou!

What happened to that break of yours Merrilyn? (Oh, in case that sounded ungrateful, I'm very appreciative of the advice, but a little concerned you may have caught me spreading misinformation to Samir.)

Thankyou both!

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 03:17 AM
I did have a break DE. Ohh you must have missed it. Proteus gave me from 2pm to 5pm off, so I'm already back :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DiscusEden
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 03:24 AM
Lucky you!

(Will have to remember to not lie to Samir)

samir
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 03:44 AM
three fish is usually trouble, you probably need about 5 or more, even 6 juveniles will be okay in your tank. whatever you get it would be preferable to have your albino's as the dominant fish in the tank.
the alenquer's look the best of the lot, hard to tell,their fish look better in real life, i think the goldens you want are in the tank behind the yellow white.

DiscusEden
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 04:03 AM
Hi Samir,

Was wondering when you'd appear!

6 might depend on price. 4 is on the cards, but the others I might have to think about a bit.

How long would they be OK in there for?

I'd need to grow them until they can hold their own in the 6ft, and I'm a little concerned about overstocking. Then again, if it became a problem I could sell some or buy another tank.....

OK, thanks!

DiscusEden
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 04:21 AM
Hey, found 'em Samir, thanks! You've got good eyes!

They're so purdy! I was thinking 2 of them, 4 alenquer after your last comment, now it's 3 each!

samir
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 04:39 AM
How long would they be OK in there for?

You could keep 6 fish in there, till the time they start to pair off, around 11 cm, but that would require at least 50% wc every day towards the latter part of their stay . they grow much faster in a small tank with lots of WCs. At 5cm you can afford to miss the occasional wc or do it twice a week, but if you do that when they're at 10cm then you'd be asking for trouble.

DiscusEden
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 04:48 AM
Fantastic! in an 80L tank I could do daily w/c if needed, and let's face it, I'll be staring at them all the time anyway, or I could move them to another tank?

So at the start 20L a day w/c is OK? (That I can do easy.) Or would something else be optimal?

Thanks again!

samir
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 05:04 AM
50% everyday, but take care not to shock them by ensuring temp and ph is the same. you can feed them dry food during the day and gorge them with beefheart before you change water.

DiscusEden
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 06:13 AM
Okeydokey. Just as well I got those water aging barrels after all!

What about brine shrimp & blackworm? Or the posquana discus deluxe? Or just stick to straight beefheart?

Surely with daily 50% w/c & aged water it'd be hard for it not to be the same ph?

Robdog
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 07:09 AM
Yeah I was just using the 20L bucket as an example of how easy it is to do decent water changes in smallish tanks.
2 buckets full and you've done a 50% wc. :wink:

DiscusEden
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 07:18 AM
Oh. :banghead

Got it. :D