PDA

View Full Version : multiple canister filters

lachlan
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:25 PM
i was just wondering if it was fesably possible to connect two canister filters together.

before you all call me an idiot :roll: , i want to do this because i don't want all the filter intakes ruining the scenery in my planted tank

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

triumph1921
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:58 PM
Hi there

You could connect the two together but the second one will be just refiltering clean water which has already been filtered so is practically doing nothing extra to the water ............... inshort useless.
Also over time the first filter will become slower due to clogging but the second one will continue at a higher rate which might lead to the second filter sucking all water out before it comes into the first one...........which potentially makes the first filter vulnerable to running dry soon or with less water more air in there thus damaging the pump and reducing expected life of the first cannister filter drastically.

Thats IMO ............correct me if i am wrong.

Cheers

Hail2Pitt02
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:22 PM
I don't agree with that at all. I am not sure how you go about plumbing the two of them together but the second filter would assuredly increase your biological filtration, if not help you polish the water from the 1st canister. If you can do so I would fill the first canister, with almost all sponges for mechanical filtration. The second filter I would fill half with something kind of biological media like Biomax and the other half with filter floss. Assuming you were not doing this in the name of overstocking you would have some be--u---tiful water.

if you don't want to have the intakes and spray bars junk up the look of your tank consider buying green tubing like Eheim supplies and use large background plants. Those two things would help to hide the plumbing.

FishLover
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 12:09 AM
Use a Y shaped connector to combine the intakes into one. Simple and effective. You may want to one tube bigger than the 1 tube in order to have the flow rate correct.

FishLover
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 12:26 AM
OK, the V shaped tube smaller than the 1 shaped tube.

ILLUSN
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 01:00 AM
I'm running 2 canisters in series at the moment the first has the impeller removed and is purly mechanical (ceramic noodles course sponges and LOTS of white wool) this is cleaned REGULARLY (EVERY 2 weeks) the second has the impeller in and is plugged in it runs purley bio filtration and is NEVER cleaned (well maybe rinsed anually). the trick is not to it is pressurise the input side of any FILTER. this setup increases the biofilter capacity and keeps the water EXTREAMLY clear. i use an eheim 2217 and 2017(as the mech prefilter) the output of the 2017 is connedted to the input of the 2217 by a 19-12mm reducing junction.

ILLUSN
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 01:13 AM
here's an old topic i posted a while ago
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11079

lachlan
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 11:58 AM
thanks for your help guys

don't worry about the plumbing, my dad is a plumber lol

lachlan
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 12:03 PM
would this work for the aqua-one range, i know this is basically a pure eheim forum but i like the aqua-one's for some reason.

Hail2Pitt02
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 02:39 PM
would this work for the aqua-one range, i know this is basically a pure eheim forum but i like the aqua-one's for some reason.

it would work with anything. All canister more or less work on the same princliples. I myself like Eheims but $ for $ think Cascasde and Renas are a much better value. Not sure if you have those in Oz but they are more than capable, efficent filters.

lachlan
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 10:18 PM
thanks for your help guys, just one more question, when your connecting the two filters together, should the strongest one be first or second in the cahin

cheers

FishLover
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 12:08 AM
Why would you want to have a daisy chain? Using a Y shaped connector would solve the problem of not wanting multi inlets in the tank. Otherwise, you will have to remove the impller from the first one, as ILLUSN said. You shuld not have water presure for filter inlet or it will not work.

ILLUSN
Thu Jun 28, 2007, 03:45 AM
Sorry to bring up an old post

should the strongest one be first or second in the chain

if you preasurise the input of a filter the top an come off or you can damage the filter head. the smaller weaker filter goes first and is NOT plugged in. the stronger filter goes second and is pluged in. hence only 1 filter drives the 2 canisters