PDA

View Full Version : Flubenol - is it safe?????

benjohnson
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 01:37 PM
After MAC's recent experience with a bad medication... I wanted to run this one by everyone before I use it.

Its called Flubenol 15 , and it claims to be totally safe for fish.

website is www.flubenol.co.uk

It sounds good.... but has anyone had any experience with it yet? :shock:

Cheers,

Ben

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 02:31 PM
I'm getting some sent to me Ben. I'll let you know my opinion when I've had a chance to use it.

From what I gather, it's totally different to the stuff MAC used to worm his fish which was fenbendazole.

benjohnson
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 03:02 PM
Cool , much appreciated ... I have some arriving myself in the next couple of days ...

Pauluk
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 03:28 PM
Its totally safe and cant harm your fish at all, snails on the other hand will be killed.
Yep, its a completely different thing to fenbendazole

Miracoli
Wed Mar 21, 2007, 12:59 PM
I am two weeks into treatment (repeating treatment because of gill flukes) and have observed no negative side effects with Flubenol15.

Pauluk
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 03:20 PM
Thats because there are no negative side effects :D

Unless you are a snail called Brian that is :o

benjohnson
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:29 PM
I have used it on 2 of my tanks... no ill effects, but i also havn't found any worms... so im torn between whether it is effective or not.... could just be they didnt have ay to get rid of ?

Pauluk
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 11:37 PM
Its 100% effective, if you havent found any worms, its either because you missed them or there were none in the first place

djceri_g
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:26 PM
ive just treated my tank 2 days ago, the snails are still alive! Does this mean it hasn't worked?

Pauluk
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 03:01 PM
It kills snails the same way it kills parasites, it starves them to death.
The time to kill them depends on the type of snail apparently, for best results you will need to treat weekly for 4-5 weeks as you also need to kill the snails as they hatch from the eggs that will be in your tank

djceri_g
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 03:16 PM
I will do a water change this weekend and re-dose. I have malaysian snails and did pull 2 out of the tank before putting fluebenol 15 as these snails are good for my sand. But I have too much snails and hoped they would die! will keep you posted if it works!!

Pauluk
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 03:34 PM
It will work...... :)

fishgeek
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 09:19 PM
paul what qualification do you have to make these claims other than you sell the product that is being talked about?

i have no issue with fenbendazol(apologies i had meant flubendazol here) as a antihelminthic that may or may not work as is being claimed
i strongly believe that any medication that has an effect will have some good and some bad effects
claiming that there are no side effects to any medication goes against my personal understaning
a good medication will have few side effects and many beneficial effects

there are internet claims of flubendazol causing tail standing in fish , whether they are based on anything more than one persons experience i do not know

andrew

Pauluk
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:46 PM
paul what qualification do you have to make these claims other than you sell the product that is being talked about?

I have the word of the manufacturer who is a lot more qualified in aquatic biology than most people I have met, including Dr Burgess.... if Peter Burgess told you would you beleive him? or is it because some one you have never heard of is making claims that you cant find evidence of????

i have no issue with fenbendazol as a antihelminthic that may or may not work as is being claimed

well, as a vet with an interest in fish, I would have thought you might have found some info by now from the manufacturer or the VMD or DEFRA and the working ingredient in flubenol 15 is flubendazole, not fenbendazole

i strongly believe that any medication that has an effect will have some good and some bad effects

why should everything have a negative point......

claiming that there are no side effects to any medication goes against my personal understanding
a good medication will have few side effects and many beneficial effects

why? does every med going have a negative side?????

there are internet claims of flubendazol causing tail standing in fish , whether they are based on anything more than one persons experience i do not know

Head and tail standing when using flubendazole (note the e on the end ;) ) is usually caused by acetone that is used to make flubendazole water soluble, its a side effect of the acetone....

Andrew, a while ago I offered to send you some flubenol 15 for free, I would have thought that the 'scientist' in you would have jumped at the chance to try some, how come you have not contacted either me or the manufacturer to get some to find out if it works??? you seem to be out to bin this med at every point you can and i get the impression the main reason is that you know nothing about it and like most vets would be best off sticking to cows and horses rather than listen to a guy with a double ph in aquatic biology....
I have to be honest, I have never met such a group of negative and basically rude and arrogant people as I have found on this forum, there are a few nice people here, but some ruin it....

Pauluk
Sat Mar 24, 2007, 12:01 AM
Heres a few comments I have taken off ONE forum where people have used flubenol 15...

I medicated the tank today at lunchtime, and just now, when I was down in my "fish-room" to put out the light, I pulled out the magnifier (right word?) to take a close look at the semiaquilus......... Not at fluke/parasite to see!!! Nothing! They have all gone in just half a day! The semi got its colour back, and seems just fine.
Omg, I dont believe it, I was so sure that I was going to loose them all.

dinoflagellates

I can honestly say this is a new one on me, so I've consulted someone I supply large amounts of Flubenol 15 to, he's a wholesaler and treats everything with it. His answer is that in its algae type stage and also in its "carniverous" stage when absorbing nutrient directly from a live fish, dinoflagellates are very susceptable to Flubenol 15, but take a while to die at the other stages.
During the other stages he gets on top of it using metronidazole (flagyl), which controls its reproduction, if you have access to emtryl (dimetridazole) which is banned in the UK he says it kills it very quickly at all stages of development.
Hope that helps, sorry can't be more constructive than that, if you were closer I'd certainly bring some Flubenol 15 along and let you try its effects, if you can get emtryl it is twice as effective if mixed with Flubenol 15 so I'm told.

More fluke problems - cured!

I spotted a club-shaped tip on the ventral rays of two of my C. robineae and took a closer look in case it was an example of unusual sexual dimorphism. Instead I found it was a symptom and that there were flukes hanging off the fishes' fins like a fringe, looking very similar to Gry's photo in her parasites thread. I ordered some Flubenol from Paul, who sent it first class the same day. It arrived yesterday and was in the tank by 11am. By 6pm the two affected fish were feeding greedily and this morning you would never think there had ever been a problem, with all six robineae sitting quietly on the bottom with their dorsals held high.

Flubenol. 15

This morning I received the Flubenol that I ordered. (and a speedy delivery it was ) Thought I would try it on my corys, since they are constant rubbing against the bottom. As I understand, that can also be caused from drop in PH? But after admitting the Flubenol, the rubbing stopped after about 1,5-2 hours. Another ting that happened, was that my Barbatus began to spawn. (and they are still depositing eggs) I`m quite convinced that the Flubenol "triggered" the fish to spawn, since I can see that my newly bough arcuatus are showing signs of spawning behaviour to.

Spawning

Birger
My Trillineatus started spawning again when I used the Flubenol too!
I'll have to get some more & see if I can eradicate the snails with it !

Lucy <><

I guess you still think its bad for fish, keep trying with the panacur Andrew - maybe you can get that approved for fish use....

and yes, I do know why it encourages fish to spawn, but I will not be telling you why...