PDA

View Full Version : Purple Waffle...how bad is it??

Erk
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 02:52 PM
My girlfriend really liked this plant, and the LFS was selling it submerged in their tanks at the store, and so I got it home, and now, today, Im reading up on it, and although I get some conflicting reports....it sounds like it will eventually rot, die, and pollute my tank :shock:

www.plantgeek.net/plant-167.htm

Has anyone fell into this same mistake I did, or has anyone had any luck with it in their tanks?? Help! lol

Thanks a lot

Erk
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 06:05 PM
Sorry, forgot I wanted to attach an image of this plant

Thanks!

Proteus
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 10:19 PM
It is not an aquatic plant and whilst may do ok for a few weeks or months will break down and make a mess.

They are grown emersed (usually hydroponically) by the wholesalers and thrive in that type of environment. Because they are so healthy when purchased it takes some time before it starts breaking down (acidic water seems to accelerate this somewhat)

Erk
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 12:09 AM
Wow Proteus thanks for the tip! Its coming out of there tonight, I will try to grow as a house plant....what a great LFS I have to deal with! lol....still cant find any riccia :(

Thanks again

Xtreme
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:27 AM
Riccia should be back in stock in 2 weeks, HTH

Ben
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:48 AM
It is not an aquatic plant and whilst may do ok for a few weeks or months will break down and make a mess

Spot on with the above!

One of those nice looking plants that most LFS sell.

all the nice plants are either a non true aquatic or need CO2.

Erk
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 12:26 PM
Xtreme can I order riccia from you?? Im out in Pennsylvania?

Thanks for all your help guys....the purple waffle has been removed from the tank, and Im gonna try to grow it as a house plant...something Ive never been successful at! lol....thats why Im rather surprised the plants in the aquarium are doing so well :lol:

Nathan
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 10:14 AM
thats the same with aluminium, sold as an aquatic plant but u cant grow it, unless u got a lot of gear an IMO much more interestn plants out there.