PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3

Proteus
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 12:33 PM
I was lucky enough tonight to be able to go to a special Sony event where they were showcasing the new PS3 plus a new range of 1080p display units and Blu-ray compatible machines and I can only say one thing...

WOW...

To date I have been a loyal Microsoft gaming fan (X-Box then X-Box 360 (which is for sale in the classifieds)) but after seeing what the PS3 is capable of, I am very impressed.

The graphics were out of this world (playing Motor Storm via HDMI on a true 1080p 42" panel) and the sound (7.1 channel)... awseum

ok, enough of my ranting... before I sound like a Sony ad

fiftycal
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 01:03 PM
I considered the PS3, then looked at its 1k price tag

I bought a Wii instead. For the same price, you can have 4 controllers with nunchucks and 2 games. Not as good graphics, but much more fun with mates. I would love a ps3 but I cant justify it, being a student.

Proteus
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 10:13 PM
I considered the PS3, then looked at its 1k price tag

Oh trust me, there are a lot of people who will like this machine, but the price is IMO a little too much.

However, what we need to factor in is the fact that it has a built in DVD/Blu-ray player in it, and for those that have shopped around, Bluray players (the few of them that are available, mainly Panasonic) cost over $2k alone.

I certainly wont be lining up on the 23rd to get one, but I am sure there will be thousands that will.

k0b0i
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 11:01 PM
ebay!!! get it for cheaper - lol

i believe there is no region cap on games any longer. however it doesn't seem to be the case for dvd's.

Proteus
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 11:19 PM
ebay!!! get it for cheaper - lol

i believe there is no region cap on games any longer. however it doesn't seem to be the case for dvd's.

For $600 on ebay with no warranty at all, even though they say this in there listing (Sony do not provide service and support for products purchased on e-bay) plus the fact that it cant be certain where the unit originated from (grey sellers have a habit of cutting the power cord and attaching a local plug to make it look like the local product).

Is it worth the risk?

Some would say yes, but you get what you pay for in the long run.

It should be noted that the current ones on e-bay only play NTSC or Region 1 DVD's which can be a problem if you dont like to buy all your discs overseas.

Bald_noggin
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 11:38 PM
I would dearly love a PS3 (when they come down in price!) but what excites me about this console is the leap in technology inside the box. (Yes, I'm a techno nut! :lol: )

The PS3 with its CELL processor means that it's performance is longer ranked against other computers. It's ranked againt Super Computers. :shock:

Imagine what the games are going to be like when the game writers get a good handle on the software programming. :twisted:

Robdog
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 02:07 AM
Maybe off topic but what is the difference between 1080p and 1080i??

Proteus
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 03:18 AM
I can answer that... as I have asked that question before...

In a nutshell, 1080 Progressive (1080p) is a better quality picture than 1080 Interlaced (1080i) it is cleaner, sharper and great for fast moving action such as football (of whichever variety you follow).

1080p is the only "True" High Definition format as such.

It should be noted that true 1080p viewing is only possible when all components are connected via HDMI

A more technical explanation is as follows:

1080p defined

1080p resolution--which equates to 1,920 x 1,080 pixels - is the HD Holy Grail. That's because 1080p monitors are theoretically capable of displaying every pixel of the highest-resolution HD broadcasts. On paper, they should offer more than twice the resolution of today's 1,280 x 720, or 720p, HDTVs.

Why 1080p is theoretically better than 1080i

1080i, the former king of the HDTV hill, actually boasts an identical 1,920 x 1,080 resolution but conveys the images in an interlaced format (the i in 1080i). In a tube-based television, otherwise known as a CRT, 1080i sources get "painted" on the screen sequentially: the odd-numbered lines of resolution appear on your screen first, followed by the even-numbered lines--all within 1/30 of a second. Progressive-scan formats such as 480p, 720p, and 1080p convey all of the lines of resolution sequentially in a single pass, which makes for a smoother, cleaner image, especially with sports and other motion-intensive content. As opposed to tubes, microdisplays (DLP, LCoS, and LCD rear-projection) and other fixed-pixel TVs, including plasma and LCD flat-panel, are inherently progressive in nature, so when the incoming source is interlaced, as 1080i is, they convert it to progressive scan for display. Some quality is lost in this conversion however.

I will state for the record that I dont have a 1080p display panel, yet, so this is information I have learnt from others plus doing lots of product research as I want to upgrade into one of these sometime soon.

samir
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:53 AM
I watched this commercial and now I believe the Wii is far superior.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67evwcdM724
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

scott bowler
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 09:05 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: imwith you mate ill go the wii heheh shhhhhh :lol: :wink:

Proteus
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 09:31 AM
Smack me sideways...

I'll have that Wii model (with or without accessories)

:shock:

Xtreme
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 09:35 AM
Woteva

Kingkat
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:28 AM
I'm with Prteus on this one!

DiscusMad
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 12:48 PM
I have read that sony belives that they will not have to update the playstation for another 5-10 years when the ps3 comes out

Robdog
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 12:57 PM
Mmmmmm buttons! http://www.reefsuk.org/forum/images/smiles/jumpy.gif

I love all the nerds get up tight and fight with their comments.

I'm going with a Playstation 3. I like someone who's real. Not a ditz
:shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What an idiot!

Robdog
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 01:00 PM
I have read that sony belives that they will not have to update the playstation for another 5-10 years when the ps3 comes out

At $1000 a pop Sony will be able to pay the football players to come to your house and play soccer on your TV!

DiscusMad
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 02:27 PM

At $1000 a pop Sony will be able to pay the football players to come to your house and play soccer on your TV!

cool

though I thik I would fork out another $200 to have The Angels play live at my house :roll:

DiscusMad
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 02:28 PM
another ment "an extra"

endless
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 07:21 AM
AHAHAHAAHHA. Im definately getting the Wii