PDA

View Full Version : Adding plant matter to homemade foods

aussieorchid
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 11:56 AM
I am about to make a batch of homemade food and was just wondering if anyone has added minced up fresh water plants to the mix. I seem to be trimming plants particularly val every week in the tank and it seems a waste to throw it out as it contains heaps of nutrients from the tank. Has anyone done this will the discus eat it are there any bad side effects. Any comments welcome.

martraci
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 12:02 PM
i like spinach..and so did pop-eye!

the german
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 12:42 PM
i use fresh english spinach,it is one of the best iron resources in vegies and it helps digest the meat.
dont know about plants out of tanks,i wouldnt try it because you never know whats in them can be bad can be good,i think it is a bit of a gamble

Andrew Soh
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 02:35 AM
I tried mixing duckweed...no harm done....as to other aquatic plants...only spirulina :wink:

Andrew

aussieorchid
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the replies. As with disease worries from fresh water plants I would only use the plants from the current discus tank so that should not be a problem. I will maybe do a small batch with the plants and see how it does. I figure it has to be better than say spinach which a discus would never find in the wild but fresh water plants would be there for the picking.