PDA

View Full Version : White Mite ???

Grahoc
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 10:20 AM
I have just discovered a White Type Mite ?? or something x100's swimming around the Tank...very small Dots..Discus do not seem to be worried ...seem to be attracted by light ...any ideas???...Did a water change yesterday and cleaned the bottom of the tank..may have disturbed something..have been feeding Juvi's reasonably heavy in this tank
Grahoc

mistakes r crucial
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 07:42 AM
Sounds like Hydra to me although they usually attach themselves to the glass either on the bottom or sides of the tank. Probably won't affect Discus too much but they will kill some small fish, especially bottom feeders and are not desirable in most cases. There is a heap of information/remedies on Google from electrocution to Fenbendazole but do me a favour, dont consider the Fenbendazole, it sucks in water and as far as I'm concerned, it will kill your Discus.
MAC

samir
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 07:48 AM
do they look something like this, tiny around 1mm ?

mistakes r crucial
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 07:52 AM
Samir,

You been playing with Aliens again, I told you to stop it lol! What are they, don't look like Hydra to me.
MAC

samir
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 07:57 AM
:lol: :lol: i had something like that and could not identify it on the net, need to get a usb attachment for the microscope.

mistakes r crucial
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:00 AM
Could be Hydra from side on but they have 5 or more tenticles, more like a rubber glove look.
MAC

samir
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:30 AM
i have a feeling its the same thing as Grahoc

mistakes r crucial
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:37 AM
Elvis Presley's white blood cells swimming round your tank lol!
MAC

samir
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:41 AM
I'm bidding on one of those microscope eye pieces on Ebay, will have a pic up next week.

Grahoc
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 12:13 AM
Sorry I have not responded MAC and Samir...Just returned today ...They are attatching to the side Glass and are far smaller than 1mm Samir...Hydra sounds like the culprit..No Fenbendazole for me Mac..Must sound like a "Four letter word' to you I imagine ..Thanks for your input U2
PS. I bear no resemblence to Hydra Samir lol