PDA

View Full Version : kill off duckweed

diveboy
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 03:17 AM
I've managed to get some duckweed in my tank, the bastard crap is growing like you wouldn't believe.

How do you get rid of the crap ? I just can't keep up with the rate that it's growing at, I never invited to my tank either.

Thanks

Michael.

ILLUSN
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 04:43 AM
rainbow and siemensis eat it and LOVE it. so do goldfish, I grow it up in seperate tanks as my fish eat it faster then it grows, best bet is manual removal DAILY.
what problems is it causing you?

diveboy
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 05:45 AM
it's cutting down the light for the other plants, thats the main issue and it's not what I wanted in the tank anyway.

Thanks, I'll like at getting something that will eat it out of existence and then try and find him a new home.

ILLUSN
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 10:50 AM
although probably not suitable for your fish tank my perons frog tadpoles DEMOLISH IT!!!!! , also my Salmon red and Bosmanni rainbows LOVE it.

psamers
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 03:18 AM
I had the rotten stuff in my tank and it drove me nuts. In the end I very carefully skimmed off every bit I could find, then checked carefully daily for a few days to ensure I had nailed it. No problems since. But it is very persistent isn't it? Just one leaf behind your spray bar or heater and the stuff will fire itself up again. Good luck!