PDA

View Full Version : Breeding outcomes?

kaiser72
Sat Mar 10, 2007, 06:30 AM
Can anyone point me in the direction of information on the breeding outcomes of Discus.
I was a bird breeder for many years and i can follow genetics quite well. For example wich strain of fish are classed as dominant( carrying the visually dominat gene) & is there a strain that carries recessive genes. is it possible to breed split fish, like a Snskeskin Split Blue Diamond or can they carry a colour hidden. Any help with this will greatly satisfy my learning hunger.
Thanks,
Troy

scott bowler
Sat Mar 10, 2007, 02:15 PM
hi troy there are some dominant breeds of discus as turks , pigeon bloods , and the more common breeds . how ever if you breed two diffrent you will get a mix of both parents as well as there own individal strain .so if you put a say a snakeskin and a blue diamond then you my get 40%of one 40% of the other and a 20% mix . but not always the case .just the theory ......

samir
Sat Mar 10, 2007, 02:59 PM
a lot of the stuff is confidential and breeders are reluctant to divulge information.there is a lot of misinformation as well. I for one, am pretty ignorant about discus genetics, so cannot help you out.

mcloughlin2
Sat Mar 10, 2007, 11:43 PM
Some basic information.

1) Pigeon Blood carry the dominant gene. If you cross a pigeon blood with a blue turk for example you will get majority heavily peppered fry.

2)Albino is the most recessive.

3) Creating a half blue diamond half snakeskin hasn't been done and i don't think its possible.

Merrilyn
Sun Mar 11, 2007, 02:24 AM
Discus Catalogue by Martin Ng will give you some of the answers. It's not really a hobbyists book, more for serious breeders, but it will give you an idea of what crosses were done to obtain the more popular strains, such as leopard spot.

As you already know something of genetics, I think a little research into that book will give you the answers you're looking for.

kaiser72
Sun Mar 11, 2007, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the reply to my questions. i would like to get as serious as possible breeding Discus. But where i live there seems to be a major shortage of fellow breeders. So i would like to thank you for all for the advice.
Cheers,
Troy