PDA

View Full Version : sad sad day

wyldchyld01
Wed Sep 29, 2004, 09:37 AM
Well, it was my own fault i think,

i interchanged two fish (between tanks) both 20cm plus, there was a 0.2 difference in ph everything else was fine,

fishy moved fine, but then once in the tank with a slightly lower ph, i mean 6.7 to 6.5 wasn't in my mind that big....two hours later i went to the fish-house to check how everything was and my golden sunrise was dead on it's side in the corner :cry:

the other fish is undergoing hierachal re-ordering stress but is looking ok, a few bars showing on this red turq now but swimming straight and lively,

so now i have a female with no mate, thought i'd bring her inside to the display tank...does anyone know if a discus would survive three (2f 1m) kribensis, 2 bn cats and 20 kerri tetras, she needs to be looked after a loss of such proportions.

goes to show, make sure everything is spot on, don't cut corners..bugger

Brenton

ps sorry for the long post, been a long day

parasite
Wed Sep 29, 2004, 09:43 AM
sorry to hear of your loss

Merrilyn
Wed Sep 29, 2004, 09:48 AM
Brenton, thats awful. So sorry for the loss of your little friend.

Mattzilla
Wed Sep 29, 2004, 11:20 AM
sorry for your loss mate....

what strain is the female? i have a big male ( i think) that i think would like a mate

Proteus
Wed Sep 29, 2004, 11:48 AM
Soory to hear of your loss

also, a pH shift of .2 wouldnt have caused the death, maybe it was just the fishes time, who knows, it is sad regardless...

aza
Wed Sep 29, 2004, 11:49 AM
sorry to here of the lose of your baby hope all goes well

wyldchyld01
Thu Sep 30, 2004, 01:55 AM
thanks mattzilla, i'm in coffs harbour mate so it's a bit of a cost to send fish around the place from here, no she's going to have a break in the display tank i think until i can find a mate for her

BlackGhost
Thu Sep 30, 2004, 08:07 AM
She ok now? Lets hope she will be ok. Fingers crossed.

flukes
Thu Sep 30, 2004, 03:18 PM
Normally its better for discus too go up in ph rather than down, but i dont think a differnce of .2 would be the cause of death.

nicholas76
Fri Oct 01, 2004, 07:11 AM
That Ph swing isnt big enough.

And if it was it would have taken longer to take hold.

your water 'tap water" ph is ideal. I wont keep mine in anything below 6.9.

20 cm discus? show me da money, hehehe id luv to see a pic

weird
Fri Oct 01, 2004, 11:28 AM
20 cm, I thought only heckels got that big, and others got to 15 cm ?

flukes
Fri Oct 01, 2004, 12:03 PM
Nick - Why nothing below 6.9?
I would rather 6.5 than 7.0 - I think you meant 5.9 or i could be wrong.

nicholas76
Fri Oct 01, 2004, 10:55 PM
HI,

Scott yep I mean what I said. nothing below 6.9.

its arguable but its fair to assume that most of our fish come from asain regoin agree?

I know for a fact that my fish and some of yours are born and bred in water which is 6.9 and above.

Ive had more issues with fish when i have tried to maintain the 6.5 regime. And none at 6.9 and above.

I find its really not applicable to our fish on this side of the world. sure maybe for those in the u.s.a and actual wilds.

My tap water is set at the correct PH. 6.9 - 7.4 . All i do is add KH and instant discus water :D NO issues at all. No scared / skittish discus ever.

Regards

NIck