PDA

View Full Version : Brown X Albino throwing albino fry. WHY ????

samir
Fri Mar 09, 2007, 02:44 AM
decided to have another go with her and my big brown male,and gave them a cold WC, took all of 10 minutes for them to start spawning. :shock: eggs look nice and spaced out around 500, looks positive atm, but with her you never know.
Its a bit risky leaving a male with her unattended, hopefully he wont be floating sideways when i get back from work.

For the very gullible, the brown male was caught by Heiko Bleher himself, while skinny dipping in the Rio Branco. :roll:

nicholas76
Fri Mar 09, 2007, 05:59 AM
you should just muzzle her Samir hehe

good luck shes a nice looking fish.

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 09, 2007, 07:02 AM
For the very gullible, the brown male was caught by Heiko Bleher himself, while skinny dipping in the Rio Branco. :roll:

Is he still doing that ????

Thought he gave it up years ago :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

samir
Fri Mar 09, 2007, 07:13 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

she bit me before I left. :x why is it that all my fish once they spawn, feel its alright to bite me. :x its really annoying when cleaning the tank.
too much meat ?? :? probably just too tame , need some fear put in them :twisted:

scott bowler
Fri Mar 09, 2007, 07:41 AM
if you throw some albinos and you will give me a call samir hehe

samir
Fri Mar 09, 2007, 07:57 AM
they should be all browns I think. I'll talk to you if i get any fry.

scott bowler
Fri Mar 09, 2007, 08:32 AM
ok mate thanks good luck with it

DiscusEden
Fri Mar 09, 2007, 11:14 AM
Good luck Samir, they both look beautiful! Is that the homicidal albino? How's she going?

It might just be a really bad case of pms you know. Have you tried chocolate, icecream and playing her Briget Jones's Diary? She just needs a little understanding you know. Has he ever done the dishes? Offered to make tea? He might have it coming, ever thought of that?

Too much?

samir
Sat Mar 10, 2007, 11:55 AM
she's getting along with him fine, hope there's no egg eating, this morning only 4 were bad so shouldn't be a problem

samir
Sun Mar 11, 2007, 09:34 AM
now why in God's name have I got around 60:40 albino fry :shock: :shock: :shock:

the german
Sun Mar 11, 2007, 09:45 AM
well she is a really dominant girl :)

scott bowler
Sun Mar 11, 2007, 09:48 AM
cool samir thats a good thing hehe

samir
Sun Mar 11, 2007, 09:49 AM
its not possible, the male would have to be an intermediate to get so many albinos. :x :x :x wish i had known sooner i would have bought the whole lot of browns :x :x :x

the german
Sun Mar 11, 2007, 10:03 AM
when they ready for a transport i put my hand up for a few to put them in a grow out tank and see whats coming out of that.

Xtreme
Sun Mar 11, 2007, 10:07 AM
Hey Samir,
Why dont you just cull them then it will be easier for you to distinguish the good ones from the bad ones :wink:

Cheers Wayne

Mattzilla
Sun Mar 11, 2007, 10:23 AM
wow you lucky bugger!!!!!!

keep the pics coming please mate and good luck with them

samir
Sun Mar 11, 2007, 10:24 AM
haha lets see how many survive. i'll do a cull later. i should have some of the roundest albinos around, this has saved me at least 8 months :blob

samir
Sun Mar 11, 2007, 11:53 AM
parents seem to be paying more attention to the black ones, looks like things could go wrong.
should i remove the black eggs next time ?? its the only thing I can think of, how do you guys do it ?

Merrilyn
Sun Mar 11, 2007, 12:06 PM
You can't do anything but wait it out mate, and hope the little albinos do their thing and attach.

Good luck mate. Got my fingers crossed for you.

When are they due to free swim?

samir
Sun Mar 11, 2007, 12:33 PM
they should be FS around late Monday, now they've moved the black ones and some of the albinos to the back of the cone,

wasn't ready for it this time, thought it was strange that so many eggs were still clear after so long, its when i saw the tails tonight, that i realised that they would have to be albinos :?

nicholas76
Sun Mar 11, 2007, 12:41 PM
and all she ever needed was some good loving samir !

samir
Sun Mar 11, 2007, 12:54 PM
and all she ever needed was some good loving samir !

:lol: :lol: she's such an irritating fish , if I had just started keeping discus I'm positive she would have caused the death of all my fish. put her in a nice peaceful community tank and within minutes she takes out the peaceful and the community. now she's started biting my knuckles when i try and clean up :?
why do all my fish think they're the boss of me ?? :lol: :lol:

G-1000
Fri Mar 16, 2007, 11:55 PM
Albinos still alive and well mate?

You shouldve taken my albino to cross it to your brown before mine died :(

Still, thats awesome man, happy for ya (provided ya post some pics haha)

G

samir
Sat Mar 17, 2007, 12:18 AM
Hi G
figured out that they are not albinos but intermediates, they have black eyes.

samir
Mon Mar 19, 2007, 07:26 AM
nearly all of the pale ones have died, they grow much slower and I only have a couple left of which one will make it .

samir
Sat Mar 31, 2007, 07:54 AM
atm I have three pale ones left and they all have red pupils so they're definitely albino ? :?
the non albinos have very good shape. they would be intermediates right ???

scott bowler
Sat Mar 31, 2007, 08:15 AM
thats good samir you will have to keep thoses ones well done good work mate

samir
Sat Mar 31, 2007, 08:21 AM
well done good work mate

3 out of about 150 albino's survived :shock: I should start doing this professionally :roll: :lol:
next time hopefully, this round was a learning experience

ILLUSN
Tue Apr 24, 2007, 02:49 PM
Hey Samir, was talking to a breeder i met in a LFS in parramatta, mentioned your albino girl giving albino fry when crossed, he said he wasn't suprised, he believes the females pass on alot more traits then the male, hell gross a VERY good female with an average male and get good traits (mostly) but crossing a poor female with the best male never gave good results. dont know if he's full of it or not, he said it was cause the egg produced by the female carries more biological info (mitochondria etc) then the sperm of the male which only contains 1/2 the chromosomes and nothing more. As a cytogenetist that only kinda make sense if the color genes are co-doiminent, and you get paternal inactivation of some sequences. Unfortunately I've never looked at gene expression in fish. Food for thought though if you can maybe cross her with a known pure line fish and see what happens. If you get more albinos the old guy might be onto something.

samir
Tue Apr 24, 2007, 03:00 PM
thanks for the info, i've thought of it but she has a "mild" attitude problem when around most fish. I have a spare male, I'll give it a try in the next couple of days, pray she doesn't beat him up. :shock:

Xtreme
Wed Apr 25, 2007, 06:44 AM
interesting Illusn..

Kinda makes sense
Samir you sure ur male isnt (het) albino

samir
Wed Apr 25, 2007, 07:49 AM
Samir you sure ur male isnt (het) albino

for the price I paid, I seriously doubt they would send intermediates. I'll toss her in with a different male and if she does not kill it, then one should know for sure, two days after spawning.
problem is none of the males stand up to her, not even the big guys. :x though she has become significantly less violent since her spawns. she's not hunting them down anymore.