PDA

View Full Version : Planted discus tank

MACCA
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 11:03 AM
I have a 6 FT x 2FT planted tank with 9 discus, 20 neons, 4 catfish, 6 head and tail lights, 6 raspbora harlequiens, 4 mature flying foxes and I was running a CO2 setup but it was runng at 50ppm. I have discontinued the CO2 and can seem to come no lower than 35ppm with the CO2. The plants are suffering because of lack of growth (CO2), but I still wish to have a nicely planted tank with a lower CO2 level. All the fish seem to be doing all right. Can some one help me with a solution to my problem?

fish_r
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 01:52 PM
Hi Macca
we really need some more info to help u ?
what kind of co2 setup are u running ?
do u use any buffers that could effect the test when u are testing for ppm of co2 ?
how are u testing ur co2 ?
35ppm is a bit high but should be ok and if not just run an airstone to disipate the co2, say a cpl of hrs b4 light's off till lights back on.
but u would need to experiment a little. till u c how ur fish react ?
but some answers to some of the above might help too ?

MACCA
Fri Mar 09, 2007, 06:32 AM
I was running the red sea CO2 set up (power head and yeast canister) and using a red sea CO2 test kit. I am aerating the tank and doing 100ltr water changes every week, but not very much is happening. A friend of mine used the CO2 test kit and found it to be accurate. Thankyou for your reply.

fish_r
Fri Mar 09, 2007, 07:57 AM
if u are using the red sea kit there is no wayi know of that u could get such high co2 readings. unless u run muliple units ? i run the same kit on my 4 ft and the highest c02 readings i have ever got is 15ppm. something has to be putting the test out i recon ?
u can also test ur co2 level by testing ur pH and kH
using this chart...
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm
"scroll to the bottom for the chart" but the other info's a good read too :)
HTH.

MACCA
Fri Mar 09, 2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks again. It seems something may be wrong with my tester!