PDA

View Full Version : Which Discus to buy??

Hail2Pitt02
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 03:13 AM
Hi guys. As I have talked about in a couple of posts I plan on starting a small discus breeding program at my home. I am still in the research and feasibility stage but sooner or later I am going to go for it., it's just a question of timing.

That being said, if I decide to try this and I get some good spawns, it would be nice to actually have people buy them from me and make a return on my investment. I am looking to start with 2 or 3 varieties. I plan on buying 6-7 juvies to start with and I would like to get some Discus that are a nice mix of desirable and widle popular if that make sense. From just general observation it seems like the leopards, and melons seem to be most coveted discus going today. Does anyone have any opinions on what the market seems to be moving to today.

I was thinking one attempting some type of leopard and some type white faced melon discus. In terms of leopards....I have seen some really nice ones but they have very pronounced vertical bars on the body. I would think this would make them less desirable. The cleaner the pattern, the better correct?

Thanks again

the german
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 03:20 AM
thats a very good question mate.
the discus market is very hard and the favorit colours can change every day,just depends what comes out of singapore or hong kong or.....
ITM albinos a very expensive and rare but like i said it can change tomorow,i think good quality discus equal wich strain will sell everytime,
maybe for less than fancy ones.

DiscusEden
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 11:38 AM
Hiya Hail2Pitt02,

I need to let you know first that I'm a newbie, so you might get more accurate help from others, but ....

From what I've seen, there seem to be 2 markets - the people who know what they're doing (here), and the general hobbyist that buys from the lfs.

On here, the popular fish that I've noticed seem to be the red gold diamonds, albinos (various types, the albino RGD seems to be the holy grail), and a little while ago there was a lot of talk about the golden leopard snakeskin.

The lfs in Adelaide (different country, I'll admit), say they have lots of blue diamonds, blue turqs and don't want browns, but are still asking for marlborough reds, and basically anything red or spotty.

So what you're planning sounds sound, but as I said it's a different country, and you might want to ask around locally before starting? :wink:

HTH,
DiscusEden :D