PDA

View Full Version : discus eggs

kaiser72
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 02:15 AM
My discus laid eggs for the first time today. they laid them on the bottom of the tank. the female has gone of her food, but the male is still eating well. the eggs appear to be black in colour with a tiny white spot on them. are they ok where they are?
She appears to be fanning them with her pectoral fins. last i looked the male seemed to be a little attentive as well.
Please leave any feed back you can as i am an extreme beginner!!
Cheers to you all,
Troy(AKA KAISER)

the german
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 02:21 AM
hi troy

on the bottom of the tank is very unusual,i never heard something like that before.
you say there are black with a white spot,thats not normal they should be clear and orange in colour.
and pectoral fin is unusual too.
they probably eat them today becaude there is something wrong with them,but no woorys they will spawn again and then hoepfully on the side of the tank or on diftwood or a plant.
my guess would be there a young and dont know what they do :D remembers me on something :D
just give them time.

michael

kaiser72
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 02:27 AM
aparently they have bred before, quite successfully. if i can get a picture i will post it for you.

the german
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 02:33 AM
that will be good.
you say they bred before,you have any idea how old they are?

kaiser72
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 02:47 AM
Hi Michael. About 2 years old. my friend i got them from is fairly trustworthy with things like that. the eggs look like smaller versions of caviar.

Troy

the german
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 02:54 AM
2 years is very good they are fully grown then.
there is definitly something wrong with the eggs and the way they laid them.
that they laid them in the morning is also unusual,at least for me,
i read a few times it can happen but i never saw it with my fish,it was everytime late afternoon or early night,depends on the temperatue.

michael

kaiser72
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 03:25 AM
i removed the so called eggs from the tank & they were hard like tiny round stones. now the female floats facing the bottom or up at the top of the tank. i hope she isn't sick. she flicks her dorsal fin very quickly & is still not eating.

the german
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 03:59 AM
like stones you say,i have no idea where that can come from :?
the hard eggs and now she's floating sounds not good,i think i cant help you with that ,you should put that in the emrgency room and hope some of the other guys have an answer to that

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 05:53 AM
they were hard like tiny round stones.

Do you by any chance have one of those floating glass thermometers in the tank. It sounds like the small lead pellets they use in the bottom of the thermometers to weigh them down.

kaiser72
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 06:05 AM
Merrily, you are a genius. that's what they were. so a full water change would be on the cards? if she ate any could that have made her ill?
Thanks again,
Troy

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 06:12 AM
They're actually fairly harmless Troy, and thankyou, no I'm not a genius. I've just seen it before :lol:

Once you remove them and do a water change, all will be fine.

Some people even use lead weights to hold their plants down in the substrate, although I don't much like the idea, it's supposed to be fine with fish.

Welcome to the forum by the way. Hope you soon have real eggs for your pair to look after.

the german
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 06:53 AM
WOW,merrilyn you are genius :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: