PDA

View Full Version : Formalin in planted tank

RKeen
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:41 AM
Gday

Looks like i might have a case of itch in my planted 4ft'er. I have some formalin and other remedies just wondering how much affect formalin will have on my plants do i need to take them out or what not really wanting to lose all my plants again! OR should i go for a completely different approach to resolve the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Ryan

the german
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 11:15 AM
you say you want to cure white spots with formalin :shock:

just use salt 2gr/l for a week that get rid of it.
is it a discus tank?
with the temp. at 30 you shouldnt have ich

ILLUSN
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:32 PM
salt is safer then formalin, either way your plants wont be happy, try raising temp to 30-32 degrees and add salt.

Pauluk
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:59 PM
How are you going to get the salt out of the tank after dosing though??
Personally, I would use an off the shelf counter, once you know its whitespot....

the german
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 11:13 PM
you get the salt out with your regular waterchanges,after a week 50% and then just the normal WC,IMO salt is a top "medication"against ich and other parasites on the skin of fish.

RKeen
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 06:31 AM
German,
Yes it is a discus tank also living in perth too 8-) . Just introduced a whole lot of plants and a albino bristlenose so one of those must have brought it with it.My temp hovers between 28-31 degrees.I was going to use formalin because i heard it doesnt kill the plants that was my only reason for it. So will this dosage of salt kill my plants after 7 days?

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 07:50 AM
Your plants certainly won't appreciate the salt.

If you are able, remove the plants to a large holding tub during the salt treatment.

the german
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 07:58 AM
hi ryan

like merrilyn said,put them in a large tub :)
do you have discus or going to have some?
have a look under news&......
we have a meeting this minth maybe you are interrested.

michael

RKeen
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 11:43 AM
So there is no chance that these plants will carry any disease into the tub and then back into the main tank?

the german
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 11:54 AM
i dont know much about plants(funny for an ex landscaper :lol: )in tanks but i would think that a short bath in salt wouldent hurt them to much,bath like 10gr salt per liter in a bucket and dip them in for a few minutes,but one of the plant people would know the answer....or merrilyn :D

RKeen
Fri Mar 09, 2007, 12:02 PM
Should the salt be killing the itch by now its been over 24 hours and it doesnt seem like it has improved probably got worse if anything? I dosed at 2g/l my BD has spots all over his body the others have minimal spots but nothing like this one little guy.

Cheers

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 09, 2007, 12:40 PM
Heat and salt is usually enough to eradicate white spot, but if you are noticing an increase, then I'd be going for an over the counter medication.