PDA

View Full Version : Giving it One Last Try

dntx5b9
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 01:56 AM
OK, I am good at keeping one discus, but no more than one. Over the last two years, I have killed 7 discus. So, about three months after the last death in the tank, I have decided to give it one last try at keeping more than one discus in my tank.

So, yesterday, I got 6 juvies (~2.5") and added them to the tank. The old guy in the tank is about 5" so I was hoping there wouldn't be big aggression issues. So far, I am happy to observe that there is no aggression from the big guy towards the new guys and all 6 of the new guys are doing real well. Eating and swiming around. Too early to be too optimistic, but things are going much better than they have in the past. Doing a water change as I type. I have a 90G tank with few other tank mates. Will keep you posted.

the german
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 02:58 AM
hi dn. give us some water parameter please

Bill T
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 05:38 AM
Watch out for ammonium/nitrite spikes.

Suc_Sid
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 09:36 AM
Just out of curiosity, when you kept the other discus, did you only have two at a time, or did you have all 7 at once?

I think you'll find they may do better in a bigger group - 6 is a good number for the size you've got.

if there is any aggression, i wouldn't worry too much, usually it'll be "portioned" out evenly amongst the 6. really only a problem if you have 1 aggressive and only 1 or 2 others to receive it.

Also, 90g tank, how many litres is that?

Final question, what other tanks mates/how many?

I wish you all the best.

(PS, i've lost 8 in the past few years, but currently have 9 doing very well together).

S_S

dntx5b9
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 04:01 PM
My water params are:

Temp: 84 F
pH: 7.4
gH: 8
kH:4
Nitrate: < 10 ppm

The tank has been setup for a while, and I plan on doing twice weekly of about 50% water changes.

90G is about 360 literes. I have about 11 rummy nose, 7 cardinals, 4 serpaes, 2 German Rams, 2 Bolivian Rams, 3 clown loaches, 4 corys, and 2 bosemanis.

I have had upto 5 discus at the same time at one point, but they kept dying until 1 was left in the tank.

Hopefully, things will go better this time around. :)

S_S, good to hear things are going well for you.

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 11:45 PM
84 degrees is a bit too low for discus. Juveniles do much better at 88 to 90 degrees. They really need the warmth.

Feed them 4 or 5 times a day with good quality high protein foods, maintain your twice weekly water changes, and you should be fine.

dntx5b9
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 06:52 PM
Wow, that high? I am afraid if I raised the temp that high, that the plants and other fish in the tank may not do too well. I will raise to 86 F and see how things go. Thanks for the input.

dntx5b9
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 03:22 AM
Oh, by the way, does my fish list seem OK for a discus community tank? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Suc_Sid
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 08:58 AM
dnt,

i agree with merrilyn, when keeping my juveniles, i keep them in a separate tank, with water between 30 - 32 degree celsius and feed them at least 4 times per day - mainly tetra bits and bloodworms.

once you hit 32 degrees, it will be too hot for some of your tank mates, i've usually lost my corys first at the higher temps (34 degrees), the loaches and tetras still seem to do ok, haven't had any experience with the rams or bosemanis.

I would be a little cautious with the loaches. i had 5, which were getting a bit big (5 - 7 inches) and found they really polute the water a lot and were too skittish for the discus. i eventually gave them to my local fish store(they're now in a huge tank with about 10 other equally sized loaches, so i think they prefer it).

apart from that, i think most other tank mates are ok.

hope this helps.

S_S

FishLover
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 01:26 PM
My tank is set at 86F and the rams did not do well. None of them lasted more than few weeks.

You may need to do more water changes since you are going to feed them and set a higher temp. They will not do well at your current settings. Lots of water changes make the difference with health growth or not. Feed them more also requires you to do more WCs.

nicholas76
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 02:28 AM
Your tetras will die off quicker too.

and some of your plants will molt away.

can you post a picture or two please :D

dntx5b9
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 02:04 AM
Your tetras will die off quicker too.

and some of your plants will molt away.

can you post a picture or two please :D

Here are few pics of the tank and the new guys. I bought the big guy almost a year ago. Let me know what you think.

By the way, it's been 9 days since the purchase and 5 of 6 new guys are eating and doing well. Somewhat concerned about the 6th guy. He is not as active and doens't seem to really eat. But he still looks pretty good.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1306
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1302
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1307
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1305
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1304
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1303

nicholas76
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 02:13 AM
Now thats a nice tank thank you very much for posting.

They look a little scared in the first pic but they appear fine in others.

looks simply like new home jitters to me.

Keep a tab on your parameters and dont be afraid to use a carbon / reson based filtartion medium to pick up any nasties that might linger undetected in your tank.

nicholas76
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 02:16 AM
Im sounding like a promo ad these days but this is the stuff I use. Its less than half price at ASA at the moment.

My local lFS sells it for $32 per packet and ASA are selling it for $9.95 a packetm. awsum stuff.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11715

dntx5b9
Sat Mar 17, 2007, 01:43 PM
Quick update. The new guys are settling in nicely and seems to be doing well except one guy. It's been 12 days since I got the new guys and 5 of them are eating well and very active. One guy however, usually hangs out by himself, not all that active, and I don't see him really go after food. However, he doesn't seem to be harrassed by other guys and he doesn't appear to be thin. I will have to keep close eye on him (not that I haven't been).

Nicholas, thanks for the info on the Chem Zorb, I just found it on sale on Dr. Foster and Smith site for $5.39 per pouch and $49.00 for 12. I don't know the conversion rate between US dollars and Australian, so don't know whether it's a good deal here or not. :)

So, does Chem Zorb help maintain better water quality? Is it really necessary? I am doing close to 60% or more water changes every 3 days, so just wondering if I should get them or not.

I have a pouch of activated carbon that came with my AC110 that I didn't use. I suppose I can use that to see how much that will help. Any comments on use of carbon or stuff like Chem Zorb would be greatly appreciated.

nicholas76
Sat Mar 17, 2007, 08:11 PM
gday,

IMO ive generally found most problems stem from poor water quality. Im finding for example that my tap water is stedily getting worse due to the drought . Through normal tests and measures I havent been able to detect what it is and the local water company simply wont list "everything " they add into it.

with that in mind I find that all my fish stress and do poorly if i dont use a carbon / resin based product to filter it. Now im not saying its a miracle cure but what i can say is,, is that I do have a noticable diffrence when i use this zorb product. Fish stay hungry healthy and breed fine. Without it they stress and stay unhappy.

by improving your parameters im hoping it may swing things in the right direction for you.

dntx5b9
Sat Mar 17, 2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I will go ahead and put the carbon pack in use and order the Chem Zorb next time I place or fish supply.

dntx5b9
Mon Apr 02, 2007, 01:04 AM
Quick update. It will be 4 weeks tomorrow since I got the new guys. They all seem to be doing ok. They all seem to be eating although they don't appear to be voracious eaters. Don't really beg for food, but they eat. However, they don't really seem very active. They swim around here and there, but a lot of times they just hang out and don't really do much. Sometimes they are dark and sometimes they look fine. I do about 60 to 70% water changes every three days. Just wondering how they should be behaving ... No real aggression issues that I can see. The big guy leaves the little guys along pretty much, and the little guys do pick on each other but not that much. And no one guy is being picked on more than others. Should I be concerned? I am somewhat uneasy... :(