PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Turbo CO2 Bio-System

Erk
Tue Mar 06, 2007, 01:52 PM
Hi guys I got a Red Sea Turbo CO2 Bio-System on saturday and hooked it up...it was really easy too! My question tho is, is there any recommendations on slowing down the bubbles? I have read 4 bubbles per second and things like that on this forum, but the venturi only has a lil dial on the botton of the pump, and you can slide the dial between a plus and minus symbol? Does anyone use this system in their tank? Any recommendations or comments about it? It says it is good for up to 40 gallons, and my tank is a 46 gallon, so right now it is on full blast during the day, when the lights are on, and an airstone at night, when the lights are off...plants seem to be doing great! Im worried about how this system is going to affect pH in my tank, I dont have a controller or anything, and I dont even know if I can hook this up to a controller. I wanna get this all straightened out so I can work towards getting some discus in there

Thanks!

ILLUSN
Tue Mar 06, 2007, 10:47 PM
if your worried about Ph, add a small bag (4 table spoons) of crushed coral or shells to your canister filter. this will add carbonate to your water and buffer your ph. with this on my 20 gal my ph stays steady at 6.8, without it it drops to bout 5.6-5.8.
where are you located, I have a bucket of it if your close by.

Erk
Tue Mar 06, 2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks a lot ILLUSN I will have to check into that...I would just put the 4 table spoons in my cannister where the ceramic rings and bio chem stars are? Its a rena filstar xp2, it has two baskets and the bottom one is all black foam. Unfortunately Im located in Pennsylvania, I just like the info and the discussions on this forum so much I had to join!!

Maybe I could find it online, I dunno if my LFS carries real crushed coral or shells, they do have a wide selection of salt water products, so maybe, but sounds like a great idea

Thanks...im sure shipping some is out of the question! haha

Thanks again!

ILLUSN
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 01:33 AM
Yeah mate shipping 4 table spoons would cost more then it would cost you to buy 10kg :lol:
just put a bit in a mesh bag, filter bag old stiocking etc. I run mine in the top tray for convenience as eventually it breaks down to CaCO3 powder and should be replaced ( every 6-12 months). good luck with it take some weekly pics of your plant growth and post them up for everyone to see.

Erk
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 02:12 PM
Yeah I kinda figured....thanks for the advice tho, I will put it on the list. I have some pics to post, but they are kinda crappy since I took them with my camera phone, but I will add some good ones hopefully this weekend if I can get my hands on a digital camera. The tank is kinda dirty, and I still have some green algae problems, but I will post pics anyways. I was hoping the CO2 system was gonna clean that stuff up for me, maybe it hasnt been hooked up long enough.

Here are some older pics for you guys, that I did take with a digital camera, I will try to get some up here that are a lil more updated, but they will prolly be blurry cause they were taken with the camera phone

Thanks!!

Erk
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 02:51 PM
Here are some more updated pics, you can see the rena cannister filter has been added since the last pics...the spray bar in the back. Im waiting for this filter to cycle so I can remove the bio wheel filter. The newest pics may be blurry, and things are a lil crowded, Im waiting to get some more eco-complete substrate so I can rearrange some things

Erk
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 02:58 PM
The newest pics....sorry if they are a lil blurry, and Im still learning how to upload pics! lol! The new pics were taken last night and CO2 has been hooked up since saturday, you can see pearling (Hopefully) if the pics turn out ok

Erk
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 03:01 PM
Only 3 pics per reply? K, well here are a few more...the most recent ones again

Thanks!

ILLUSN
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:29 PM
looking good so far erk keep at it

Erk
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks ILLUSN! Isnt the co2 pump supposed to help clear up my algae problem? I get home from work today its even dirtier then yesterday! I wont get to a water change until prolly friday, and I was actually hanging out waiting for it to clear up on its own.....maybe Im just wrong?

Thanks tho!