PDA

View Full Version : Discus Eggs!??

djceri_g
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 02:05 PM
Ive just noticed on one of my plants this gunge with lots of white spots in it, also, a bit on my discus! whats going on? been trying to take a pic but blurry!

djceri_g
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 02:14 PM
This is the best pic i can get. It seems to have gone from my Discu now! there was some dabgling from her bottom!
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/djceri_g/detail?.dir=8ec8re2&.dnm=ad39re2.jpg&.src=ph

samir
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 02:21 PM
from 70 : 30 now my guess is that its 100 : 0 female :lol: :lol: :lol:

djceri_g
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 02:32 PM
haha! So you think mu Discus did this?

samir
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 02:33 PM
now get yourself a snakeskin male from the lot and you should be getting babies soon :D. pick the biggest roundest guy with a straight or upwards genital area. i think you will get snakeskins and some turquoise babies :D

djceri_g
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 02:48 PM
I cannot belive what I am hearing!! Only just bout=ght this fish less than a week ago! Soo much about worrying it will die of stress!!

samir
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 02:57 PM
its very common, in fact i think all the adult females i have got have spawned within a week. get yourself a male and get cracking, hopefully you can learn from our mistakes and not your own, that will speed things up :D

djceri_g
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 03:04 PM
I aint too sure if it is possible to have a male, unless I rehome some of my other fish! I have got a breeding tank thought, 2ft one. Im worried that if they would have fry how will I be able to home them? Only one lfs here that sells Discus! Or maybe thats a good thing?

samir
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 05:32 AM
you don't really believe that two tanks is what you'll stop at, do you ? :lol: :lol:

the german
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 05:42 AM
:lol: :lol: no chance,very soon they will be 3 than 4...........

samir
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 06:37 AM
or 18 (thats what i think i have :shock: ) all started with the little 2 footer

djceri_g
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 09:33 AM
If i had space I would go out and but 18 tanks!! I live in a tiny flat with my daughter! Her toys takes all the room!!!

the german
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 10:39 AM
i have a little boy and a loevly wife,i told her toys fit under tanks :lol:

djceri_g
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 10:45 AM
Im am really thinking of getting a male for my snakeskin, Would be nice to get little babies nut I understand that they get a LOT of fry! I have been thinking of buing a big corner tank but cant put fry in this as its to big. Maybey put the fry in the 2 foot then when they aree a couple of months transfer to the big tank? Most probably by then the pari would have had more fry!

the german
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 10:58 AM
sounds good,and sounds like you are infected :twisted:

djceri_g
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 11:33 AM
Im infected all right! How often do they have fry? Will I be alright starting with my 2 foot breeding tank? Maybey after the first set of babies I can afford to get more tanks and try make space! What have I got myslef into! I Cant seen to get enought when it comes to fish!

the german
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 11:48 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
not more than three to four times a year,they need time outs between spawns.
when you do it right,like samir,you can get 300+fry each time.
but usual you get 100-150.

samir
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:17 PM
fry is a long way off , if you end up getting a male don't think in terms of fry for a while, just enjoy them and once they start producing a reasonable amount of fry then think about getting another tank for them,
you could get lucky and have the perfect pair but more often than not it takes time and patience, eventually when you get the hang of it they should be able to pay for themselves.

djceri_g
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:33 PM
fry is a long way off , if you end up getting a male don't think in terms of fry for a while, just enjoy them and once they start producing a reasonable amount of fry then think about getting another tank for them,
you could get lucky and have the perfect pair but more often than not it takes time and patience, eventually when you get the hang of it they should be able to pay for themselves.Even better! It sounds like a good challange. I love these fish, I have been watching me female all times, better than watching Tv! Would love watching a pair of them and just hope I will find the perfect man for her! :lol: Should I consider re-homing some of my other fish? l :cry: listed on signature

the german
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:40 PM
i have no idea,the only fish i ever had with my discus are BN and royal pleco but in this forum are a lot of people who know more about that,look under discus tankmates.

djceri_g
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:58 PM
It's just the stocking! The fish I have gets on ok with my Discus but may be a bit cramped If i get a male

the german
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 02:02 PM
ah i see only 96L,yes thats not much space.
you see it starts already,you think were to go with the other fish :roll:
ok new tank :lol:

djceri_g
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 02:14 PM
Think if I re-home the congo because they like being in a shole of 6 or more, and the Gourami because that fish is evil! They all seem to be happy though!

benjohnson
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 02:22 PM
Hello,

If you are going to go for breeding, I believe the best way to go about it is have a bare bottom tank , no tank mates , and nothing else in there but the filter, an air stone and a cone for them to lay on....

You could leave it planted up just that it will make it harder to clean ( you have to keep the water pretty spot on for them to have a succesfull batch of fry)

I would take the tank mates out and re house them if you can. I use Juwel rekord 70's as my breeding tanks, which technically is breaking the rules a little bit (i.e 40 litres per fish where as mine get 35 each but lots of water changes ) so your rekord 96 would be spot on for 2 big fish.

Its up to you how you do it, you could leave your tank done up as a normal tank and just appreciate looking at them ,and if they lay then its an extra bonus !

Sounds like you got the bug pretty bad though !! :-)

There are some good UK websites that will deliver tanks to you at good prices if you do want to look, surprisingly good selection on ebay too (Shops and private sellers)

Also, I dont know if you suffer the same problem in wales, but where I live in England, the water was really poor.... I had to invest in an RO unit to sort the water out and add the trace elements back into it using a product named Discus Magic Mix by Dorset Discus ( Top Guy who really knows his stuff ) ... your LFS may well do i tby the barrel as opposed to you havng to fork out for a unit yourself, I think Maidenhead Aquatics do it at £3 for a barrel of 23 litres ( you need to provide your own barrel or buy one first time you visit for a £10 er though ! )

Hope that has helped you out ! ;-)

Cheers,

Ben

djceri_g
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 03:15 PM
Hello,

If you are going to go for breeding, I believe the best way to go about it is have a bare bottom tank , no tank mates , and nothing else in there but the filter, an air stone and a cone for them to lay on....

You could leave it planted up just that it will make it harder to clean ( you have to keep the water pretty spot on for them to have a succesfull batch of fry)

I would take the tank mates out and re house them if you can. I use Juwel rekord 70's as my breeding tanks, which technically is breaking the rules a little bit (i.e 40 litres per fish where as mine get 35 each but lots of water changes ) so your rekord 96 would be spot on for 2 big fish.

Its up to you how you do it, you could leave your tank done up as a normal tank and just appreciate looking at them ,and if they lay then its an extra bonus !

Sounds like you got the bug pretty bad though !! :-)

There are some good UK websites that will deliver tanks to you at good prices if you do want to look, surprisingly good selection on ebay too (Shops and private sellers)

Also, I dont know if you suffer the same problem in wales, but where I live in England, the water was really poor.... I had to invest in an RO unit to sort the water out and add the trace elements back into it using a product named Discus Magic Mix by Dorset Discus ( Top Guy who really knows his stuff ) ... your LFS may well do i tby the barrel as opposed to you havng to fork out for a unit yourself, I think Maidenhead Aquatics do it at £3 for a barrel of 23 litres ( you need to provide your own barrel or buy one first time you visit for a £10 er though ! )

Hope that has helped you out ! ;-)

Cheers,

BenI thought you take the pair from the mail tank to your breeding tank with just a cone? I have a juwel Record 54L with no gravel just painted sides. The water where I am is brilliant! I only do one water change a week and really when testing the water there is no danger for the fish. But I still do one w/c a week to get rid of the waste on the bottom. Even my sister lives down the road and she never, ever does water changes (maybey once a year :shock: )and her fish is healthy and never dies! Any I must say, the Juwel tanks are very good!

Have you got any good websites that hav cheap tanks? :D

benjohnson
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 04:13 PM
54l is probably cutting it a bit fine on the size front for breeding, don't wanna bum them out !! Like I said.... I run rekord 70's and I wouldn't hazard going any smaller .... its up to you if you want to try :-)

How extensively have you tested the water? PH being an important one, along with the TDS reading. Water ideally wants to be in the mid 6's . The TDS reading was the problem I had... it was massive, hecne why i bought a RO unit whichj reduced it right down to between 5 - 10 ppm as oppose to the 300 - 400 I was getting out of the tap. You may want to test gh/kh aswell and see if your water is soft , they prefer it if it is and there is evidence that if it is too hard it will make any eggs outer shell laid by your female too hard for your male's man juices to penetrate ;-)

djceri_g
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 08:14 PM
54l is probably cutting it a bit fine on the size front for breeding, don't wanna bum them out !! Like I said.... I run rekord 70's and I wouldn't hazard going any smaller .... its up to you if you want to try :-)

How extensively have you tested the water? PH being an important one, along with the TDS reading. Water ideally wants to be in the mid 6's . The TDS reading was the problem I had... it was massive, hecne why i bought a RO unit whichj reduced it right down to between 5 - 10 ppm as oppose to the 300 - 400 I was getting out of the tap. You may want to test gh/kh aswell and see if your water is soft , they prefer it if it is and there is evidence that if it is too hard it will make any eggs outer shell laid by your female too hard for your male's man juices to penetrate ;-)I haven't got a KH testing kit! I treat my water with tetra Aqua safe before putting in the tank, also, I sometimes apply Tetra Balance in the tank. These are my readings everytime I test the water (once a week)

PH: 7 (same as the lfs i buy my lovelt fish!)
NitrAte: 0 - 5 ppm (ths sometime rases if feeding beef heart)
Nitrite always at 0
Ammonia always at 0 :D
all my fish lookes healthy and Discus Is glowing!

Maybey I could put all the tetras etc in the 54L tank and just have a pair of discus in the 94L? But will it be okay to leave the Discus fry with the parents? Im going to try make space for a corner tank though!
OR: should I just put the paur in the 2 foot with a breeding cone and remove them when try is big enough to feed alone?

IM HOOKED ON FISH! cant get enough!

benjohnson
Tue Mar 06, 2007, 08:59 AM
If you get to the fry stage, and then get to the stage they get big enough (10 -14 days old) then they need to be moved out of the tank the parents are in. IF you live them in there too long they can end up damaging the parents slime coating.

I would go with putting the parents in the 96l , and keeping the 54 as a fry grow out tank if you get to that point :-)

Make room for a corner tank, then have all 3 on the go , thats the way forward :-) hehehe

djceri_g
Tue Mar 06, 2007, 10:18 AM
Sounds good! Obviously I will need to rehome some of my other fish I think, cant really put them in the 54L either incase I get lucky with fry! What fish do you think I should re-home! So sad though! Cannot afford a corner tank at the moment! Argh! these fish are taking over my life! :lol:

benjohnson
Tue Mar 06, 2007, 11:03 AM
Well.. it comes back to whether you want to go full on breeding, or whether you want them to be in a "display" tank if they lay then its a bonus...

To be honestm unless your reallllllllly lucky, then its ging to be a while before you get to the fry stage, so you could use your 54l tank in the interim for sure.

If you want to go full on breeding.... then no tank mates at all with the discus, If you want to keep it as a display tank, then you could keep the neon tetra's in there, I dont know a lot about congo tetra's , maybe ok ... but the gourami needs to go , and the guppies too probably. The pleco will probably eat any eggs that get laid, so you may want to move him too.

djceri_g
Tue Mar 06, 2007, 12:50 PM
If i get sucsess and the right male for my Discus then I: will go for the full breeding! But may leave in the community tank for now.
my plans is put all the other fish in the 2 footer, except female Discus and the Neon tetras. Get a Male and see how they get on, like someone mentioened it is better to leave the pair in the community tank for a while before placing them as a pair alone. It will make them a stronger pair? Maybey after a couple of months of this I will be able to afford a corner tank them use this as a community, the 96L as a breeding. and the 54L as a hospital. Maybey after a good sucsess and a lot of patience I will keep 56 brothers and keep as a shoal in the Juwel Trigon and re-home the others for new beginners to have a go! I think this makes sence? :lol: sorry for the ear ache! :oops:

Any chance you know of where to get a Juwel trigon cheap? I have no transoprt either! :evil:

the german
Tue Mar 06, 2007, 12:54 PM
u are very optimistic g. but i wish you luck with it.
for me breeding discus are one of the most amazing things i've ever seen

djceri_g
Tue Mar 06, 2007, 03:34 PM
u are very optimistic g. but i wish you luck with it.
for me breeding discus are one of the most amazing things i've ever seenThank you for your support! I will keep you posted!!

benjohnson
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 08:31 AM
I would have a scout around ebay.co.uk there are loads of shops on their that are reasonably priced, and will deliver to your home too.

I only know of places in England really... bit of a trek from North Wales, especially if you don't have transport :-D

djceri_g
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 09:04 AM
found this on ebay! inky 10 miles from my home! what do you think? The tank is about four years old. The filter has been modified to an undergravel biological filter. It has a 18 month old heater and a 6 month old pump. There are no cracks at all and also no knocks on the cabinet or tank
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180093386541&rd=1&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

the german
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 09:08 AM
looks good mate,price is good too

djceri_g
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 09:26 AM
Ye, but theres a couple of days left! don't think I will buy if it goes over £100. Im sure I could get a bargain on a corner if I try get more patience! lol how do you care for undergravel filters then?

the german
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 09:53 AM
sorry i have no exp. with them,im a bare bottom person :lol:

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 11:53 AM
how do you care for undergravel filters then?

The tank looks great, and the price is certainly right. Only one other bidder, so you have a good chance.

As far as the under gravel filter goes, toss it out. They are more trouble than they're worth. They work by capturing all the gunk in your tank under the gravel, and there it stays. At least with a cannister or power filter of some kind, you remove the gunk and clean the filter.

You can't do that with an undergravel filter, no matter how carefully you vacuum (hoover) the gravel.

djceri_g
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 12:48 PM
Ye, an under gravel filter seems to me that it cant be look after! Maybey i will need to find a Juwel filter because I belive these ar the best! was thinking of having a bare bottom but at this will be a community tank I need plants and black fine gravel! Whould a moon light look good in this? Or aint they good for plants? Im sure Discus would like moon light?

benjohnson
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 01:04 PM
Hi Mate,

Looks good, hopefully it wont jump too much in price but it does have 6 days left. Ebay over here seems to have a barrage of bids on the last day of auction on most thing, specially like this ... so keep an eye on it , but if it stays good money then go for it !

Seeing as it doesnt have a juwel box in the tank, you could buy one off of ebay (Saw one on there yesterday for £30 all in including heater and filter pads) or you could go for a cannister filter, which would probably be just as good. I agree with you, I rate juwel filters very highly and use them in all my tanks without issue .... but it depends if its more hassle than its worth installing a new one and binding it to the side of the tank with sealant or not !!

One things for sure..... chuck the under gravel filter straight out !! :-D

benjohnson
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 01:07 PM
I just took a double take on that ebay page, and on the piccy when the tank is filled, is it just me or does it have the box filter in the corner, and then they have taken it out !!!?

Maybe worth seeing if they still have it and want to sell it on with it... may save yourself some $$$ :-)

djceri_g
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 01:09 PM
Hi Mate,

Looks good, hopefully it wont jump too much in price but it does have 6 days left. Ebay over here seems to have a barrage of bids on the last day of auction on most thing, specially like this ... so keep an eye on it , but if it stays good money then go for it !

Seeing as it doesnt have a juwel box in the tank, you could buy one off of ebay (Saw one on there yesterday for £30 all in including heater and filter pads) or you could go for a cannister filter, which would probably be just as good. I agree with you, I rate juwel filters very highly and use them in all my tanks without issue .... but it depends if its more hassle than its worth installing a new one and binding it to the side of the tank with sealant or not !!

One things for sure..... chuck the under gravel filter straight out !! :-DYeh, maybey I will ask the guy if he has still got the origional filter, i doubt he has! I will keep and eye out and look for some filters, Think I would prefer a used filter, much less hassle. Dont have to cycle the tank for long then. what watts will I have to go for? Ive heard the interpet's are oaky!

benjohnson
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 01:16 PM
If hes had the filter pads out of water for more than 4 hours then your going to have to re - cycle it anyway im afraid :-)

Are you talking about lights, or filter?

djceri_g
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 01:19 PM
I just took a double take on that ebay page, and on the piccy when the tank is filled, is it just me or does it have the box filter in the corner, and then they have taken it out !!!?

Maybe worth seeing if they still have it and want to sell it on with it... may save yourself some $$$ :-)Ye, I also noticed the filter! Maybey they have sold it on ebay!! :? Yes, i was talking about the filter! didn't know after 4 hours you need to re-cycle the tank! :shock: not a problem :P

djceri_g
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 01:58 PM
Just had a relpy from this huy when asked about thr filter etc! ""The original Juwel components were becoming old and needed replacement. After four years they were under-performing and problematic. The new heater is a THEO and the pump is a TETRATEC 150. All these quality components ensure a healthy tank. Oh! It has two new lightbulbs as well. ""

benjohnson
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 02:13 PM
I think the tetratec 150 is an air pump ? Its good it has lighting with it !

Sounds like you will just need a filter then , although thr filter becoming inefficient after 4 years sounds a bit suspect to me , we have one in one of our tanks that has been running for a good 6 years solid, and hasn't faultered yet ..... :-D

Sounds like a good deal , hopefully it wont go up too much in price before bidding ends

djceri_g
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 03:50 PM
Ye, but I have heard of Juwel pumps and lighting having lot of faults. I must say, I quite like this tank, maybey now the colour (black) but If decorating well it will look lovely! Only just found out the seller lives only 5 minutes away! :D

benjohnson
Fri Mar 09, 2007, 11:35 AM
Did you get the tank in the end?

djceri_g
Fri Mar 09, 2007, 07:16 PM
Did you get the tank in the end?still anther 4 days to go :roll: im so impatience! :shock: also, im keeping an eye on a juwel filter on ebay! if I get this tank im going to have to move the current tank and put it in my bedroom :? no where else to put it! how do go about moving this? I will need a lot of buckets??

benjohnson
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 12:43 PM
96l... Yep, your going to need a lot of buckets :-)

I have 30 litre barrels I use for storing my RO water, perhaps see if you can get hold of some of these from your LFS ?

djceri_g
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 06:48 PM
96l... Yep, your going to need a lot of buckets :-)

I have 30 litre barrels I use for storing my RO water, perhaps see if you can get hold of some of these from your LFS ?Im not too sure about this tank now! :? I have a feeling it will go over £100! I will still need to et a filter :? .Ive just had a job and starting next Monday so maybey I can afford a Juwel Trigon 190 :D I will not move the tank intil I get the new one, then I can use the new tank to pump the water from old one while I move it. Will put the fishes in a bucket with heater. Think my Discus will get stresses if I dont put her in a bucket alone?

benjohnson
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 11:42 AM
Think my Discus will get stresses if I dont put her in a bucket alone?

I really don't know to be honest , I have never done it ! They always go in a bucket together :-) I guess it would be best to put her in there on her own , your other fish may bother her in such a close proximity

Good luck on the tank , let us know how you get on :o)