PDA

View Full Version : Which lights should I get for my 5ft tank?

enigmatic
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 04:47 AM
I've been trying to decide on lights for my 5ft tank for some time now and the more I look, the more I can't make up my mind.

I've done DIY power compact on my smaller tank but I've decided not to do this for my 5ft as I'm quite keen to not have a hood on the 5ft tank. I'm ultimately leaning towards having the lights hang over the tank.

Whilst I'd love to get the Giesemann System 260 Reflexx Sunrise 4x54w (T5) lights, I'm just not able to justify the expense to the wife.

I'm still chucking around some options to try and sell some stuff to get some money in to perhaps be able to get the Giesemann but have to consider other options.

Just wondering if anyone here has experience of the following and would be able to help with a decision?

The 5ft tank is planted with more plants to be added hopefully. It is also my Discus tank.

Lights I'm looking at:

Aqua Medic Aquastarlight T5 (4x80w)

SunSun Metal Halide HLD-1500 (2x250w, 2x80wT5HO, 3xLED Moonlights)

Aqua One Metal Halide MG1500

enigmatic
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 04:52 AM
I should add that of the other units, I am tempted by the SunSun unit with the moonlights. Partly by price but also the moonlights.

revkev
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 05:10 AM
Check with ASA on the T5 tubes for freshwater use as the T5 tubes they come with may be for marine tanks.

Proteus
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 06:59 AM
The SunSun is setup to use straight away on a Marine tank.

The HQI's are 20,000k but the T5's are 10000k which is fine for a planted tank.

From turning on many of the SunSun lights the HQI's are actually a very nice colour. They do have some blue in the them but it is more of a crisp white.

Over the next week, the main display tank at Xtreme will have one of the SunSun HLD1250's over it so you can have a look to see what it is like.
For those in Syndey, you will also be able to go look at what used to be a display Reef tank which has now been striped down and set up with heating cables, Eco-Complete substrate and a few other goodies as a heavily planted display tank.

Scott, I should be recieving my Reflexx 4 x 80w T5HO in the next few weeks and I still have my MG1500 so you can always drop by and have a look see....

In regards to the SunSun unit, unless the tank was going to be 2.5ft deep or more I would probably opt for the 150w HQI model.

scott bowler
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 07:14 AM
ro ill have a look next time im in fore shore thinking of what i can put over the 6fter i have got from xtreme looking at a few opsions , see how we do hehe

enigmatic
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 11:37 AM
Not sure if I can get down to Xtreme to check out the tank as much as would like to. It is really quite a trek.

I've just looked up the Giesemann System 260 Reflexx 4x80w (T5) and have to admit I've overlooked them before so would be keen to hear feedback on them

Proteus, thanks for the tip on he 150w HQI - the tank is only 2ft deep so I won't need the spec I listed.

Cheers,

Chris

Discus Dan
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 06:22 AM
I'm looking at buying a light on ebay the fitting is 1800 Long. It comes complete with all globes and fittings to hang it up

3 x 150W 20 000K UV Block Globe + 2 x NEW T5 High Output Globes and 4 x Blue moon LED Globes

I don't know what brand but the price is right.

Can anyone recommend any brands.

Proteus
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 06:31 AM
I'm looking at buying a light on ebay the fitting is 1800 Long. It comes complete with all globes and fittings to hang it up

3 x 150W 20 000K UV Block Globe + 2 x NEW T5 High Output Globes and 4 x Blue moon LED Globes

I don't know what brand but the price is right.

Can anyone recommend any brands.

That is a SunSun unit (assuming the seller is Guppy01)

Excellent units, cant get better in regards to MH units for the price.

Discus Dan
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:01 PM
Yeah that's right, thought I'd just ask the question. Thanks.