PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Systems

fiftycal
Sat Mar 03, 2007, 11:28 PM
I have finally decided to go the CO2 pathway, and being lazy and not knowing much about CO2, I will just go with a complete package with ASA. It is for a 6x2x2 system, which is 680?L.

My question is, should I go with the Red Sea CO2 Pro System with one of the solenoids, or should I go with the Sera CO2 system with one of the solenoids? I will be hiring a big CO2 bottle anyway. I realise the Sera system is better value for money, but since I prob wont be using the bottle, is it still better for my use?

Cheers

ILLUSN
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 01:20 AM
I'd go the sera as it is better value for money a spare bottle comes in handy if ever you run into a delay getting your bottle swapped over, i keep my jbl 500g bottle filled and ready just in case my 6kg goes dry, peace of mind for not alot more money

fiftycal
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 01:36 AM
Oh yeah,

Can you use standard air line, or do you have to buy some fancy air line?

Is the supplied reactor decent enough, or should I buy a better one?

ILLUSN
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 11:09 AM
Use CO2 resistant airline. i used "high quality" silicone tubing and lost most of my co2 over about 2 weeks

fiftycal
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 11:30 AM
Cheers

Are there any differences between the solenoids besides the watts used? I am assuming that the wattage doesnt matter too much.

ILLUSN
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 10:53 PM
some are a pulse as in they only use power when switching on or off, they get ALOT LESS HOT! then some of the constant ones. If your buying one seperate to your reg go german, they always do a good job, i've had trouble with asian solonoids at work.

fiftycal
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 05:14 AM
I think ill get everything seperate and put it all together, since if I get a set ill replace a few things anyway, such as the diffuser/reactor

Theres a Harris co2 regulator on ebay for $80, needle valve $55, bubble counter/check valve $30. Thats $165, plus diffuser/reactor, which is another say $50 more. Solenoid is another $125, making the whole thing $340, which is just $50 more than an entire sera set without any solenoid and a pretty dodgy reactor.

Ebay here I come...

ILLUSN
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 06:46 AM
Nice work, post up a review of the harris reactor once you've had it running for a couple of months, i was tempted by that unit myself, but ended up going the azoo reg (just for convenience)

fiftycal
Mon Mar 05, 2007, 08:06 AM
Sure thing. I was tempted by the azoo regulator/solenoid combo, since its only $150, but I decided against it, since it may not be as good quality

axl
Tue Mar 06, 2007, 09:51 AM
Hey for a extra $40 you can get a milwaukeemeter reglutaor, solenoid, ph controller. Thats a far better deal than the 1 you have at the moment.