PDA

View Full Version : What is this ?

samir
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 11:52 AM
is it a Super San Merah ? I need it for my albino breeding program :shock:
its bred by Lawrence Soon of Lucky Tropical (?) and came second in the solid red/brown category at the tetra discus championship

scott bowler
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 11:58 AM
dont know but i like it

Merrilyn
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 12:02 PM
Naaaaah it's terrible mate.

Give it to me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Xtreme
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 12:03 PM
I think Lawrence Soon would be able to tell us
But my guess it was well worth the effort :wink:

Cheers Wayne

samir
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 12:24 PM
i want that fish :x :x somebody find me one

Andrew Soh
Sat Mar 03, 2007, 03:29 PM
Samir,

If you like it ...get it.

You can get this fish from...

1) Red Melon x Brown = F1 x Red Melon = Result of Brown Red (that is what you see above) and other phenotype of offspring or siblings (But not as beautiful I think...)

2) Red Golden Diamond brown.

But if you want to have the best cross,.....better to use immediately a Solid red discus with full colour on the fins to cross with your Albino (also, the albino you choose must come from a strain that has full colour fins....you know what I mean?

If not, you will have very beautiful Albino Red with a colourless black bar circling the both fins.....not as desirable...you think with such a feature...can be a grand champ?

Take care,
Andrew

samir
Sat Mar 03, 2007, 03:44 PM
thanks Andrew, I got it now. My albino is from Chai Koon Seng, it seems to have a slightly different colour from the Alenquer albinos I see around here so I'm not sure :?
Here's a link to his albinos, mine is exactly the same strain
http://www.chaidiscus.com.sg/discus3_files/nalbinopairb.jpg
is it Alenquer ? it came as golden albino .

taksan
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 01:13 AM
Looks like a variation of a RGD.

Andrew Soh
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 06:06 AM
Yes Samir, I think I have seen that before in his hachery.....but cannot be certain that it carries Melon gene....because certain red in discus is recessive or non-penetrant......especially the full red.

I think he uses Melon to cross with Alencer Albino as initial cross in creating the Red albino. I think he has the same Red albino too.....

Many people in Singapore are also having the Full Red Albinos now....they can even ask you how many hundreds do you want....hmmm....and it seems not very expensive...because of the quantity around..

If I am not mistaken, Colin and Simon Pak also have them and other breeders may also have.....or at least working on it and they are in final stage..... to release into the market.

Andrew

samir
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 06:29 AM
yes he does have the red melon albino, they are much more expensive than from other sources but looking at the quality of his red melons or super melons, I can understand why. I think his red melons are the best I've seen.
Most of the albinos I see here are of very low grade. The demand for cheap fish and a lack of understanding amongst us, about what is good, is preventing the import of higher quality discus.

Andrew Soh
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 07:36 AM
If you make a visit to all the farms in Singapore, you may realise that there are better discus around...how about Roy....and so on?

I shouldn't be mentioning names here....I don't want to be accused of getting free advertisement for my countrymen..without being a sponsor....not ethical..

Thanks and take care,
Andrew :wink: