PDA

View Full Version : Sterilizer Qs

Erk
Tue Feb 27, 2007, 10:51 PM
I have a rather heavily planted 46 gallon bowfront with good lighting, and no pressurized co2 yet, but the plants look great! I have a cannister filter, and Im looking at getting a UV sterilizer, how many watts should I be looking at, and any recommendations on brand?

Thanks a lot!

Dat
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 10:20 AM
also, where can one get the best deals on such a unit?

TIA.

ILLUSN
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 10:41 AM
bigger is usually better with sterilizers, and 11w should be ok for your size tan, for a good price try ASA or any LFS trying to clear old stock, I got a great 18W for $60 cause the LFS couldn't sell it

Dat
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 10:52 AM
bigger is usually better with sterilizers, and 11w should be ok for your size tan, for a good price try ASA or any LFS trying to clear old stock, I got a great 18W for $60 cause the LFS couldn't sell it

ASA ??

ILLUSN
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 10:54 AM
http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=17

Erk
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks ILLUSN! I would like to get one that kills everything, algae, disease, all of it? Can you recommed a good one for me to look at? Also, any tricks of the trade as to how to get it inline on the cannister filter, with the return hose is prolly gonna be full of water? hahaha...I will look around today and compare prices on the UV.

What a helpful website!! Thanks so much guys!

Erk
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 02:11 PM
Also, it appears, my cannister pumps 300 gallons per hour, is this helpful info? haha...I have no idea what im doing with these sterilizers!

Thanks!

ILLUSN
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 11:34 PM
just splice it inline with the return of your canister, you want one with a good flow rate atleast double the output of your canister IMO (so 600
G/H) if you want to use it for disease control.

Robdog
Thu Mar 01, 2007, 01:16 AM
Does anyone know exactly what diseases a good strong UV will knock out?? :?

ILLUSN
Thu Mar 01, 2007, 04:05 AM
i've read they are most effective at stopping disease spreading from fish to fish as the UV can kill the free swimming form of most parrasites such as ick, velvet flukes etc (I too feel some what skeptical of this claim but i use one on my tank and i keep the bulb in good order) i believe as a cytogeneticist that they would be quite good against Virus and bacteria as we use similar wattage UVC bulbs in our biohazzard hoods for sterilization.

Erk
Thu Mar 01, 2007, 01:35 PM
thanks for your help....Im thinking about this one:

www.pondmasterstore.com/home/pm1/page_73_8/10w_uv_light_kit_for_pressurized_filter.html

lemme know what you think...looks like it does 700 gallons per hour, which is double my cannister filter (300).

Thanks!