PDA

View Full Version : Discus Plague

001casey
Tue Feb 27, 2007, 11:15 AM
Can someone please advise me of a treatment for discus disease other than lowering ph and using metro. Is it possible tetracycline on its own will cure this nasty disease. Thankyou Casey

Merrilyn
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:14 AM
Casey, discus plague is not something to experiment with. It's been around for a long time, and can easily wipe out all your fish.

Metro and a lower pH has been proven to work.

Now is not the time to be trying something different.

mistakes r crucial
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 06:42 AM
Hi Casey,

Discus Plague is a virus similar to the flu in humans and although it's pretty nasty, when you see it, the first thing to do is not panic, easier said than done I must admit. The virus itself will last between 17 and 21 days but it is unlikely that Discus Plague will kill your fish. What will are the secondary infections such as gill fluke (arguably the biggest killer of all time), Velvet and a few other nasty infections that are the result of stress caused by the virus.

Young David (Golden Pigeon) has an excellent sticky on DP and metro is definitely the way to go in the early stages. IMO you have to watch the fish very closely for secondary infections and especially the flukes. If your fish have had DP for any more than a few days I could almost guarantee they will have gill flukes by now and treating them is (IMO) more important than keeping the metro up to them. If you see signs of flukes change water and get the Prazi in to them ASAP, pure powder if possible, not the commercial crap. If you've had Metro in the water for at least 24 hours the fin rot associated with DP should be taken care of but just keep an eye on it.

The Ph should be lowered slowly to at least 5.5 or lower, I've had my fish at 4 a few times and they've been fine so again, IMO, drop it as low as you dare but just make sure it's not sudden and keep an eye on them, it will hopefully keep any bacteria at bay.

The main thing, stay positive and diligent and check on them often. The one thing positive about it is that once they get it and survive, it's a bit like the measles, they aint going there again.
MAC

ILLUSN
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 09:55 AM
Hi MAC, if you don't mind me asking, whats the safest way you've found to lower your ph for treatment?

scott bowler
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 10:32 AM
mac i resently had it and i did allmost all of what you have said . i lowered the ph and treated with salt .for a few days then i treated with sterozin and my fish all recoved didnt lose any fish and all are fine now . still keeping an eye on them but it all looks good .

scott bowler
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 10:37 AM
i use discus buffer and just us small amounts daily till i get it to were i need it .

mistakes r crucial
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 06:35 PM
Hi Illusn,

The safest way is one of the commercial products such as the one Scott uses or Ph down from a pool shop. I use Hydrochloric Acid and have done for a long time without any problems but you have to be careful with it and never put it straight in a tank, always the aging barrel.

Glad to hear you got over yours without loss Scott and I forgot to mention the salt. I've never been a big fan of Sterazin mainly because of it's inability to get rid of flukes these days but in these circumstances its obviously a good choice to keep the other infections at bay.

The one thing I would love to know is where the helll does Discus Plague come from and especially when nothing new has been added to a fish room for 6 months or so? By all accounts it is an airborne virus but I simply can't believe it just floats in on the wind and says right, gotcha! If it doesn't then that must mean one of our fish we've had for months, maybe years, just sits there with this virus bubbling away waiting for the right moment to infect a system or tank. It's a good one!
MAC

001casey
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 12:36 AM
Have cleared this disease in 3 days without changing ph or using metro if. anyone interested to know how send me a pm Cheers Casey ps all fish survived and now eating again

001casey
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 12:38 AM
Have cleared this disease in 3 days without changing ph or using metro if. anyone interested to know how send me a pm Cheers Casey ps all fish survived and now eating again

Pauluk
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 12:44 AM
Rather than a pm, could you please tell us here how you did it? :)

mistakes r crucial
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 05:16 AM
Hi Casey and thanks for the PM. It would be good if you came out here and told everyone what you have done as discussion is good for all concerned. I don't want to start the discussion here on what you've told me as that is up to you but I would continue to keep a very close eye on them as the virus itself (so they reckon) lasts alot longer than just 3 days.
MAC

001casey
Sat Mar 03, 2007, 12:03 PM
Hi MAC
how are your fish looking ? you should see some positive results in 2 days and then fish will start eating again soon after that. once they start eating do a 30-40% water change and keep and eye on the amonia Cheers Casey

Merrilyn
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 10:08 AM
The remaining posts in this thread have been deemed so important they have been moved to their own thread in the Emergency Room.