PDA

View Full Version : OAFI

atti
Tue Feb 27, 2007, 01:33 AM
Hi, just thought I would drop a line regarding OAFI (Oakleigh Aquarium Fish Importer, Melbourne Australia). I have read a few posts about this business and there has been mixed feelings.

I have known the owner for around 15 years (originally he worked for another business). He is a quiet man and somewhat shy. I have always found him to be helpful and knowledgeable. I have used his own products for 15 years also and I have found them to be excellent and resonably priced compared to "known" brands such as Sera. His Discus are superb (although we must remember that there are no guaratees when it comes to keeping pets). I drive 150kms to buy products and discus from him. His prices are good compared to some of the ridiculous prices I have seen for discus of a lesser quality.

So give him a go, I think you will find no better. And believe me, I have looked around for good discus that are not going to break the bank. And no, I have no interest in the business whatsoever.

stonedavid
Tue Feb 27, 2007, 02:06 AM
Good to know atti, will be going on a buying trip down there in the next couple of months and always looking for new contacts.
Pete

Roy
Tue Feb 27, 2007, 03:45 AM
I bought my first discus from there, no issues with the stock at all.
Also got a lot of Cardinal Tetras (best price in Melbourne i reckon) no issues there.
Range can be small sometimes, just need to ring to find out when new shipments are due.

Roy

endless
Tue Feb 27, 2007, 07:57 AM
I Reckon his got the best discus compared to all other lfs. His stock is healthy and grows fast and doesnt glow in the dark. The only thing is, sometimes he can run low on stock so as roy said give him a call first before going. Oh and you have to ring the bell first before you can go in which is a bit dodgey. And because the shop is really small he waits for you while you are looking which kinda makes you uncomfortable and abliged to at least buy something before you leave... maybe thats just me. Other than that his got great discus

Ben
Tue Feb 27, 2007, 10:40 AM
Macs the melbourne man!

I agree with the above comments %100!

Bill T
Tue Feb 27, 2007, 10:06 PM
I bought a couple of pigeon bloods from him about two years ago. Attractive health fish - no problems with diseases of any kind.
Also bought some cardinals recently - although I lost a few in translation, they are healthy and colourful.
Never had to ring the bell to get in personally.
Very knowledgable man & helpfulas.

discus21
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:01 AM
yes, i bought my first discus from him also

he is very helpful, but his prices have gone up
quite abit from years back,
but all his products are great, including all the water treatments
he doesnt sell you anything you do not really need
like some places, who push useless stuff on to you

but i must say none of my fish from him
have every bred!

i wonder why?

discus

Bill T
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 05:04 AM
The two pigeon bloods truned out to be a pair and have put down eggs on a number of occassions. If I ever get around to making a breeding tank, I reckon they would go all the way.

Roy
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 05:51 AM
Ive had eggs laid quite a few times, but never got wrigglers.

Roy

Crocky
Thu Mar 01, 2007, 06:24 AM
Hi Discus 21

You must be doing something wrong.
Every discus I have brought from have been great breeders.

brad.c

nicholas76
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 09:40 AM
I started my Discus fad becuase of Mac

many moons ago you could buy a big 7 inch turq for like $110 from his store but times have changed and prices have gone up.

with most good places you need to get in early to find the good stuff.

And although theres a multitude of stores that sell Discus he generally does have the biggest range and good value for money fish.

taksan
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 10:13 AM
He is VERY VERY expensive for most of his fish and will try and pass off mediocre quality fish as A grade to people who don't know better. But Mac certainly has the widest selection of quality fish in town.

jimstreet
Sun Aug 03, 2014, 07:47 AM
Big grave dig :)

Any current thoughts on OAFI? I dropped in today and was kind of underwhelmed. Lots of discus but they looked in very average condition.

shiney2512
Sun Aug 03, 2014, 10:17 AM
He's selection can hit and miss sometimes, if you get there when new stock has arrived, you can pickup some really great looking discus.

Unfortunately, I've found this is to be the case in most of the shops in Melbourne, New life aquarium, Keysborough aquarium just to name a few others, you need really to get there early to get the best ones!

Mavzta
Mon Aug 04, 2014, 12:07 PM
I've bought a few from him a while back before I found out about new life.
On Saturday on my way home from work, I was in the mood to buy a discus.
Seeing that his shop was on my way home I stopped in for a look.
I bought 2!
Have popped in from time to time but he always has pretty much the same stock.
And his prices have gone up a bit.
I prefer new life I think.

Ghoti
Thu Aug 07, 2014, 01:03 PM
I'd say his stock is not as god as it used to be. Price is an interesting point. I've been to many aquariums with discus of similar/lesser quality but twice the price. But the high end aquariums will sometimes have better stock at a similar price. I don't go there much these days 'cept for when I need to replenish my supply of cardinals.