PDA

View Full Version : The Plague...Discus disease

001casey
Mon Feb 26, 2007, 11:33 AM
Hi all have discus disease again 3rd time in 10 years.What is the best treatment these days as i have cleared it before using tetracycline but it seems to be resistant to it this time around. I still have 2 days to run but it doesnt seem to be working like last time.Please advise what has been used sucessfully lately.
Thankyou Casey

samir
Mon Feb 26, 2007, 11:35 AM
low ph and metro

001casey
Mon Feb 26, 2007, 11:39 AM
Metronidazole ???

scott bowler
Mon Feb 26, 2007, 11:52 AM
yeah lower your ph slowly as low as you can about 5.0 or so even if it goes a little lower but not to much turn your lights off put extra air stones in your tank if you can . keep the temp up about 30 .dont do water changes for a little while . and cross your fingers . have you lost any fish yet .

scott bowler
Mon Feb 26, 2007, 11:56 AM
there is a sticky on the post illness and meds by goldenpigeon it can be of help he goes in to detail how he bet it have a look it may give you so ideas

001casey
Mon Feb 26, 2007, 12:00 PM
no losses yet and although sick dont look like dying but just not getting well... has been about 8 days now and started off like finrot so i used fin and tail rot med...that seemed to fix it but about 5 days later in set in like no tomorrow. the fin rot med didnt touch it then so thats when i put the tetracycline in ...was Friday night. I can see improvement but not cured yet. thanx

Dat
Tue Feb 27, 2007, 01:18 PM
Hi,
i've never experienced this discus plague before and hopefully i never have to. I've heard people losing a lot of fish from this desease. I found this article about it. Hope it helps.

http://www.max-discus-dream.de/mddnew/DiscusPlaque.html

Let us know how things go.

EDIT: reading some of the previous posts. I think it's probably easier to try them first. Though, from the link above, i like the idea of moving your fish into a clean tank after treatment as it makes sense since the old tank would be infected no?

Merrilyn
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 03:59 AM
How are your fish looking now Casey?

Dat, Potassium Permanganate is a very good medication, but very dangerous unless things are carefully controlled. Anyone thinking of using PP as a cure, should also have a syringe of peroxide handy. It immediately reverses the effects of PP and can save the life of your fish in the event of an overdose.

We used to be able to buy PP over the counter, but unfortunately it's no longer available.

samir
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:40 AM
We used to be able to buy PP over the counter, but unfortunately it's no longer available.
thanks to people making drugs, plus the morons in my suburb,during the terrorist raids were caught with heaps of it :x
you can get a maximum of 50 grams from here.
http://www.onlinepharmacy.com.au/catalogue.asp?/pharmacy/30444-crystal.html

I think the treatment during discus plague is just to keep secondary bacterial infections at bay till the fish builds up some sort of strenth. A very low ph is the most effective and in combination with metronidazole should have your fish back from the dead in around 3 days.

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 05:53 AM
Casey I've moved this thread over from the Emergency Room, as there were two threads running on the same subject. Now we have all the information in one place.

001casey
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 06:15 AM
OK, no probs , thanks

kaiser72
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 01:26 PM
Hi merilyn, i purchased PP from my local chemist of the shelf not more than 3 months ago.
Troy

martraci
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 02:27 PM
purchased mine from a produce store about 6 yrs ago, back then we mixed it with glycerol to make purple fire =)

mistakes r crucial
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 03:31 AM
Hi,

Very recently ie less than 2 weeks ago I asked in one chemist and they said Cotties Crystals had been off the market for years but just one phone call later I could still buy PP over the counter at another, larger chemist. It wasn't branded Cotties Crystals but PP all the same. If anyone really needs it and just can't get it give me a shout as I can.
MAC

flaggy
Sun Nov 04, 2007, 08:54 AM
Was looking for some potassium permanganate to disinfect my new aquatic plants when i came across this thread. After reading it, it seemed like PP would be hard to buy, but I managed to get hold of "Gold Cross" brand PP at the first chemist I wandered into (located in Market City shopping centre).

Cheers

samir
Sun Nov 04, 2007, 09:05 AM
thank you for the info Flaggy

ozarowana
Sun Nov 04, 2007, 01:20 PM
Cotties Crystals??? or Condy's crystals???

Is this another name for it?