PDA

View Full Version : 10" discus!

FishLover
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 03:24 PM
Did you guys see the latest TFH mag about the Singarpore Discus show? There was a picture of 10" spotted SS! And the grand price winner is really impressive!

Boy, I did not know discus can go over 8" big. :o :o :o :o What is the biggist discus you have/had?

There are some good coverage of discus in this issue. If you don't have one, I would say go get one. It sure worth the money to me.

BTW, I have nothing to do with the TFH mag at all. I'm not trying to drum up the sales for them. Just want to share what I read.

the german
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 09:24 PM
i was on a discus exibition in belgium in 2001 and saw
one of this giant discus it was a BD and he was big
as a dinner plate.
the owner was a small belgium breeder and he said that
he feed a lot of white worms(enchyraeid worms).
i had a few boxes of them when i was in germany but here it is
to warm to breed them,the only way would be
to have a fridge where you can set the temp. on 15degrees and put them in.

scott bowler
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 10:38 PM
i have heard of freaks like that , some discus can get big under the rite condisions , i have a pair of turks witch are big ,not that big but they are the bigest i have ever seen , the thing with the fish that get that big is that they tend to loss there shape and become a elongated . i beleave that Bernd Degen the american discus breeder tryed to develop a giant stran , he had some large fish,

the german
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 11:04 PM
hi scott,bernd degen is german,i met him at the disus exibition 1997 in duisburg.
many german breeders say that discus in this size have to many fat and cant breed anymore,i get a pair of brown discus in 1995 from a breeder named schmitz from marienheide germany,tey were rised on whiteworms and bef heart mix,the female laid eggs but the male never fertilize them,he was kind of lazy,there was very wide and very big discus not 10"
but at least 8".

scott bowler
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 11:25 PM
oh ok my bad , there was heaps of german breeder back in those days ,was that dr schmidt focke s he was german yeah , oh thats rite it was jack wattley was the american yeah , those three guys work realy hard to develop discus and are resposable for them being the way they are today , i think they were in to it before the asia market started , i may be wrong i just remember reading so much from those guys ,.

the german
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 11:58 PM
yes you are right,those three guys,especially dr.schmidt focke and jack watley started in 1960 to breed with wild discus,i think without these guys
the discus will not be what is it today.
but there are also a few guys who bring the wild discus to this breeders
like wily schwartz,dr herbert axelrod and harald schutz.