PDA

View Full Version : Giant Anakonda

DiscusEden
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:07 PM
One spotty fish! Seems a little camera shy. If any of you can tell if it's male or female, please let me know!

fish_r
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:25 PM
good to see it swimming around DE :)
looks a bit more colourfull now too ...
great looking fish
"keep em comming" :)

ivo
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:36 PM
Congrat. your fish have arrived and they look gorgeous. Is the red/orange fish behind your Miss Universe?

DiscusEden
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks fish_r!

He/she is one of the bolder fish now - the stress bars only came back when I turned the lights on I think - may need a few more days to settle. Actually came out & followed me round the tank tonight, leading the others. Might be female - had a bad day yesterday - should have thrown chocolate in (joking!).

Seems now to have buddied up with the first of the universe (behind).

ivo
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:38 PM
Congrat. your fish have arrived and they look gorgeous. Is the red/orange fish behind your Miss Universe?

DiscusEden
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:39 PM
Yep, thanks ivo! I was surprised when I went to pull them out of the bags at the size of them - I expected half that! And I love them all.

Jeroen
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 06:50 PM
If you have a look at the fins I would say it's a male, but this you only know for sure if they spawn

DiscusEden
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 03:05 AM
Thanks Jeroen! At least now if I get to naming them I might get the gender right. Maybe.

Mattzilla
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 03:57 AM
they are aweomse!!!!

told you that you'de be happy with the ones they had aside for you at xtreme

i'm jealous!!

DiscusEden
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 05:04 AM
Thanks Matt!

Yes, you did tell me, but I still had no idea just how good they are!

Jealous from you is about as big a compliment as I could get. Yay! :D Thankyou! :D

I'm very happy with them! Had you picked that up? (It was subtle.)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:)

Thankyou Xtreme!

ILLUSN
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 06:25 AM
WOW nice fish, wish I hadn't seen that pic before heading to extreme tomorrow, my wife is going to kill me if they have any that nice left in stock :)

DiscusEden
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 06:52 AM
:D Thanks Illusn,
Should I put up the others tonight, so she can really go you? (Still have to load a good one of the albino, first of the universe and the RGD.) Then I'll need more fish to take pics of - that was a hint Bec. :wink:

Dat
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 08:58 AM
DE, where do you get your fish from?
I don't know of this xtreme place you're referring to.

fiftycal
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 09:07 AM
Xtreme is a store in Sydney

They shipped the fish to DE

scott bowler
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 09:11 AM
hi dat welcome to the forum xtreme is one of the sponsor on this forum the have and get some awesome fish in there shop all you need to do is contact wayne or bec and let them now what you are after and they will do there best to get it for you ,every time they are getting a shippment they post it in classifieds on the forum . with a list of the fish they are getting , so if you are after great fish give them a call and see what they can do for you cheers scott

Xtreme
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone, it makes it all worth it to see you all so happy with your fishy friends! :)

Keep up the photos!

Bec

fiftycal
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 11:00 AM
Not to mention Xtreme has good quality fish at good prices.

Some LFS's charge near the same price as them for stunted discus of much more common strains

DiscusEden
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 02:29 PM
Not to mention Xtreme has good quality fish at good prices.

Some LFS's charge near the same price as them for stunted discus of much more common strains

Well, that gets my vote for understatement of the year - on both counts, especially in Adelaide!

Dat, feel free to pm me if I can help at all. I've been so impressed I still haven't shut up about it. And don't plan to anytime soon. Be warned guys! :twisted:

Oh, and half the neighbourhood's now been dragged in to see them, and are booking showings for their friends, to talk them into getting tanks! The corruption spreads!

Beautiful, beautiful fish!

So do we think it's a boy then? (Maybe - I get that it's not an exact science). :D

scott bowler
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 10:49 PM
come on DE were is the pic of the first of the univ , thought it would be up by now haha

DiscusEden
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 11:01 PM
Working on it Scotty, sorry.

Quite literally - stuck at work today & can't get to it until tonight. Love that you want to see my fish though!

scott bowler
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 11:14 PM
alway love people to shering there pic and excitment about these fish they are awesome , think i would be lost with out this site (as deb says i have no life haha) no just love the fish and the people on here are the best too

fish_r
Sat Feb 24, 2007, 01:26 AM
yep gotta agree Scott, i would be lost without this site too
"i have no life either" lol
there are some very knowledgeable people on here and there only too happy to help :)
friendliest forum iv'e been on :)

DiscusEden
Sat Feb 24, 2007, 10:58 AM
Yeah, yeah boys. This is having a life. A happy one. Full of fish. And good people.

Back to my fish....

This one seemed fairly colourful to begin with, but has become more so over the last 3 days.

Does this give a clearer image about whether it's likely to be male or female?

Tell me what you think of him/her? :D

Dat
Sat Feb 24, 2007, 11:01 AM
Yep, what fish_r said :)
I have no idea how I stumbled accross this forum but I'm glad I did :)
You can tell a good forum by how active its members are and it's pretty active to me.

DiscusEden
Sat Feb 24, 2007, 11:05 AM
Yes, yes, yes it's a great forum. Appreciate you all. You guys are wonderfsul. Healthy thriving community and all that.

Now back to my pretty fish..... Look, there's another photo of him. Pretty! Holding his top fin down though.

Dat
Sat Feb 24, 2007, 11:09 AM
That's just awesome to look at DE.
I want one (or 5) :)

Is it just me or the gills on the picture looks deformed? Hard to tell from a blurry picture.

You need a faster ISO on your digital camera i think.

DiscusEden
Sat Feb 24, 2007, 11:39 AM
Just went and had a look at the fish. If it's gill plates are deformed, so are all the others', in exactly the same way. It might be the clear fin by the gill plate swishing back and forth that you're seeing?

And it's got the gill plates open in the 2nd shot, taking a breath, but opens & shuts them in the tank. I could be wrong, though, they might be deformed, in which case I'd like to know....

I'm afraid the camera is the best I have, but I could try to learn to use it.

You could have 1 or 5 I'm sure, if you contact Xtreme (or one of the other sponsers) and put in an expression of interest (a pre-order) for the next shipment they get in. But thanks for saying so. I'm very happy looking at him.

fiftycal
Sat Feb 24, 2007, 11:41 AM
I think its just the picture.

The fish at Xtreme are so nice I also bought 5, which are living there until my new tank comes.

I got something similar to what DE got. I got 2x Giant anakondas, 2x albinos, 1x 1st of the universe.

With DE's photos I can admire what my fish will look like lol.

DiscusEden
Sat Feb 24, 2007, 11:45 AM
Glad to help. I intend to keep posting more blurry photos. :D

If you saw all of the fish, fiftycal & made the same choices, I must have chosen something right. What kind of albinos did you get?

fiftycal
Sat Feb 24, 2007, 11:59 AM
Alot of my choices were "helped" (read: i was convinced) by scott bowler, since they all looked good to me!

I got the last 2 albinos I think lol. 1 is a spotted, 1 is a turq? mixed? spotted?

DiscusEden
Sat Feb 24, 2007, 12:05 PM
Fiftycal, you do realise I want to see photos now... a spotted albino....

Did you see the photo I added tonight of my albino? It's got a bit of colour in the fins - I love it!

Scotty's very helpful. It's a good thing. Just wait until you get them home! You won't be able to leave them alone either!

fiftycal
Sat Feb 24, 2007, 12:23 PM
I saw those photos. Very nice fish. I really cant wait to get my new tank up and ready so I can bring my babies home to papa. My dad will go crazy with his camera and take heaps of pics of them (he just spent a few thousand on lenses). Ill get pics up as soon as I get them home.

Scott was at Xtreme when I was there and he kept going "look at how good these are!" to every type of discus and then pointing out all the good features. It made it so hard to only choose a few of them. The limiting factor was my bank balance!

scott bowler
Sat Feb 24, 2007, 12:56 PM
hey come on pete you loved it , you did very well out of it haha

fiftycal
Sat Feb 24, 2007, 11:27 PM
Yeah haha I loved it!

im gonna avoid that albino yellow thread cos you will probably convince me to try and get one!

Its pretty hard to convince other people that $950 on 5 fish is very cheap. One of my mates kept saying how many cases of beer I could have bought

scott bowler
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 03:23 AM
hey pete i think you and i sould go over to xtreme when they come in and have a look haha i think they would look good with the other fish you have got , break up the colours awesome , as for the $950 you have spent cheep at half the price for the fish you got haha you would have spent twice the amount for that quality else were haha so ill see you down there soon yeahh hahaha

fiftycal
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 09:07 AM
I go to uni in Kensington, which is only about a 20min drive to Xtreme.

Itll be so tempting to pop in and buy something all the time.

I think im gonna get my mum to hide my debit card so I dont spend everything!