PDA

View Full Version : Do I need RO water to breed Discus?

Dat
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 06:00 AM
Hi,

I'm thinking of investing in an RO unit but i've heard stories where people have breed successfully without the need for RO water.

My questions are:
1. Is RO water essential when it comes to breeding Discus?
2. Does it give you a bigger batch (in general)?
3. If YES to both, then where's the best place to purchase a unit?

thanks in advance for any replies.
Dat

samir
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 06:41 AM
what is the KH of your water ?

mcloughlin2
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 07:56 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking of investing in an RO unit but i've heard stories where people have breed successfully without the need for RO water.

My questions are:
1. Is RO water essential when it comes to breeding Discus?
2. Does it give you a bigger batch (in general)?
3. If YES to both, then where's the best place to purchase a unit?

thanks in advance for any replies.
Dat

The answers to both questions are NO. Unless you have very hard water and a very high pH a RO unit is definantly not needed.

Dat
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 09:59 PM
what is the KH of your water ?

GH = 5 dGH
KH = 3 dKH

Dat
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 10:02 PM
one more thing. I'm currently using filtered water with a water softener. Just not sure if RO is needed is all :)

stonedavid
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 12:52 AM
Plenty of people breed discus without RO systems and it doesn't effect the size of trhe batch either. Some of my pairs lay a 500 fry batch others can lay 50. Just depends on the adults and how experienced they are. Check your PH as Mcloughlin stated and if High reduce it slowly.
Pete

Merrilyn
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:02 AM
Dat, most water softeners use salts, which is not real good for your fish.

What's your water like coming straight out of the tap, and not through the softener ? It may well be suitable for discus just as it is.

BTW what part of the world are you in?

Dat
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 03:24 AM
Dat, most water softeners use salts, which is not real good for your fish.

What's your water like coming straight out of the tap, and not through the softener ? It may well be suitable for discus just as it is.

BTW what part of the world are you in?

Hi,
I live in Adelaide. I'll update profile shortly :)
Tap water generally comes out as:
pH: 7-7.5
GH: 110ppm
KH:??

DiscusEden
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 05:15 AM
Hi Dat,

There's some differing opinions about Adelaide water - some say an RO unit is essential (but I'm unsure about the credability of the source). Then again, I saw someone breeding 3 pairs last week in Adelaide, with tanks of parents & fry, then juveniles and older siblings, all on tap water, with de-chlorinator, a sump & UV. They seemed fine.

I've also been told that with our water, the most you need is a pura-tap unit if you really want something. Merrilyn and the others on this forum would know far more than I would.

When & if my fish feel the urge, I plan to give it a go first with aged tap water or a pura-tap, possibly some rainwater mixed in, before investing in an RO unit. Partly because of the cost, but mostly because of the waste of water. If it works without (which seems to be the concensus), why do it?

HTH

ILLUSN
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 06:22 AM
Do you age your water before each water change? if so try filtering through peat to soften your water instead of a water softener these can do BAD things to sensitive fish, with good aged and prepared water you shouldn't need an RO unit.

Dat
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 08:10 AM
wow. I didn't realise that some softeners are bad.
I'm using these water softener resin. http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod1355.htm

After about 200L i'm supposed to wash it with salt water so that I will work at 100% again.

can you advise if this is one of the bad types?

TIA.

Dat
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 08:14 AM
Do you age your water before each water change? if so try filtering through peat to soften your water instead of a water softener these can do BAD things to sensitive fish, with good aged and prepared water you shouldn't need an RO unit.

Hi ILLUSN,
No I don't age the water at all. I don't have room in my house to store the aged water :)

DiscusEden
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 11:16 PM
I think I might be missing something here guys - what do you mean by a water softener?

Merrilyn
Sat Feb 24, 2007, 02:28 AM
Dat, what you're using is fine.

There are no softening salts involved, so no problems for your tank.

I was thinking you may have had a water softening unit, which is a cylinder that goes under the sink, and all your tap water goes through that.

The resin that you're using in your filter is quite safe.

ILLUSN
Sat Feb 24, 2007, 03:30 AM
I agree with Merrilyn, Sorry Dat i too thought you had an under sink salt unit.

Dat
Sat Feb 24, 2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks all the replies. I won't waste money on an RO unit then :)