PDA

View Full Version : bare tanks but fish seeing reflection?

iro11a
Tue Feb 20, 2007, 10:36 AM
I just set up a 3 foot tank and going to use it bare bottom tank glass not painted with the white phome stuff underneath the tank but the discus can see a reflection or something because they are sorta swimming and looking at the bottom at the reflection anyways i can stop this from happening or will they just grow out of it and forget about it?

Jono

scott bowler
Tue Feb 20, 2007, 10:49 AM
they will get over it iro11a i have mirror on the bottom of one of my tanks and the freaked out for a few days but got over it and laying eggs , every now and then the male thinks its a nother fish and has a go . its funny but no harm done .

iro11a
Tue Feb 20, 2007, 10:58 AM
Cheers mate i will see how it goes hope they will be alright think they are a bit scared after i moved them as well

gfindura
Sat Mar 17, 2007, 05:44 PM
I don't think they can see their reflection on the bottom of the tank unless you have a mirror under your tank. Yes, when the tank is filled with water, it will appear you can see a reflection on the inside of any glass pane that is perpendicular to the pane of glass you are looking through. So, when you look through the front of your tank, it will appear the inside of the sides and bottom is a mirror. This is basic physics--kind of how a prism works.

However, look into the tank from the top and the bottom will look clear--you will be able to see the white styrofoam, yes? The fish can see through the sides of the tank if you wave your hand there, yes? They can see through the bottom too.

Perhaps they see their shadows on the white styrofoam you have under the tank. You could paint the styrofoam matte black. Or, just wait for some algae to grow on the bottom.

-Greg

mcloughlin2
Sat Mar 17, 2007, 09:48 PM
Black the bottom of the tank black mate. They can see their reflections on the bottom of a BB tank and it can spook some discus out.

I don't think you can paint the foam. Well not with spray paint. I tried using spray paint on some foam and the foam disinergrated. :shock:

fish_r
Sat Mar 17, 2007, 10:53 PM
in my bare bottom tank i just used a black garbage bag to put over the white foam and seems to do the job :)
u cant use any paint with solvents in it on styrene cause as mentioned it will eat it :) but water based paint should be ok

nicholas76
Sat Mar 17, 2007, 11:19 PM
Cheapest solution is some coloured sheets of paper or yes a garbage bag. I like using sandy colours for the base and black or blue for the backing wall.

or if lifting the tank now isnt an option, remove the fish and put a thin layer of sand. ( this is an old picture of one of my tanks to give you an idea.

but i personally wouldnt leave it as is. It simply causes confusion for the fish and its one less stress factor they dont need.