PDA

View Full Version : Cannister Filter

Erk
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 02:23 PM
I went and took the plunge into cannister filters last night, and I purchased the Rena filstar xP2. Hooked everything up last night, and recommendations on how to speed up the biological filter in this filter, so I can remove the old hang on the back bio wheel filter? The ceramic rings or those carbon stars? Also, how long do you guys recommend I leave them both hooked up for? I still have some nitrite problems, and the LFS wont give me any established media....

Thanks

ILLUSN
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 06:08 AM
Hi Erk, try a double dose of cycle directly onto the filter material, that about all you can do to accelerate colonisation without using established media. I'd leave both filters on for atleast a month or even 2 just to make sure everything is right.

i personally wouldn't use carbon in anyfilter, all it does is remove all charged ioins and you fish will appreciate some trace elents in their water

Erk
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks ILLUSN, I have the bio chem stars in the filter right now, and I order the cermic rings, and they should arrive on monday. I will put them in the filter then, and put some cycle directly on the media in the filter then. I was planning on leaving both filters hooked up for a lil while. Everything looks really good so far! Thanks a lot for your help!