PDA

View Full Version : Ph to low?

benjohnson
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 08:52 AM
Hi Guys,

for some unknown reason, the water that has started coming from my RO unit, has dropped to PH 5.5 in the last oule of weeks. Maybe the water company is doing something different.... I'm not quite sure,

Anywho, i think Discus are ok with this low Ph, but could anyone clarify that for me, and perhaps suggest anyways to raise it up a bit if needs be ?

also, will having such a low PH affect the breeding ability of my pair(s) ????

Thanks a lot

Ben

scott bowler
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 09:33 AM
hi ben your fish will be fine in a ph of 5.5 , i have run my tank a4.9 to 5.0 lately becouse of illness and all my fish are fine, it wont hurt the pairs , it will be fine just bring it back slow , good luck mate

benjohnson
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:06 AM
Cool, thats good to know... Thanks Scott!! :-)

Are their any sure fire ways of bringing the PH up in a "Non Harmful" way ?

scott bowler
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:33 AM
yeah mate bi carb soda will do it with out harming any thing in the tank . good luck ben its all good mate

samir
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:42 AM
my spawns happened at 5.0 :shock:

benjohnson
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:55 AM
Really !!? Blimey .... that is good to hear..

I was worried this was going to be a big problem, but by the sounds of it ... all will be well

All of my fish are looking well, they were all acting a bit funny last night , kind docile, one of them had her nose pressed up against the tank wall , but that could just be a "I dont wanna see my husband right now" act...

I changed water in all of my tanks over the weekend, hence why I panicked when they started acting strange!!

I don't want my pairs breeding activities to dry up, Samir... you say your spawn happened in ph 5.0 ... is this common , and should I worry that my pairs aren;t going to be laying eggs ??
They havnt laid in two to three weeks, but I put that down to therm being moved form one side of my room to the other??

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers
Ben

scott bowler
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 11:03 AM
i think its only that you moved them to there are some good tips on this forum on getting spawing started if you are worried . maybe try some of the things on there . over here we do wc a little pit colder and have the ph a little lower to get them going . but every one does things diffrent . hope it works out for you dont worry

benjohnson
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 11:20 AM
I have tried a couple of the usuals, cooler water change, live food , They have been bowing too each other for weeks, they go this really bright vibrant colour righ tbefore they are going to lay normally, which htye have alot been doing a lot of, they just never get to the point of actually doing it .... all the signs are their, but I am surprised they havn't done it by now , Normally doesn't take very much for this pair, they were like egg laying machines before the move !!

They are definately happier where they are now, they eat more, come up and see me whenever I go near the tank, and are showing a lot more colour ..... very strange behaviour !

Thanks for helping out guys , appreciated as always